HZJ75 Electrical Gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I‘ve had this RHD 1991 HZJ75 Ute for a few years now, and it’s got some electrical issues, most of which I’ve been able to chase down.
One has me stumped: I stalled out the truck one day, and ever since then all of the warning lights on the dash are constantly lit when the truck is running, and it’s not charging the battery. I’ve gone through the whole wiring harness in the cab & under the hood, I went through all of the fuses, replaced the fusible links coming off the battery, and checked all of the connections in the steering column. I haven’t put my multimeter on the alternator yet, but it was working fine up til now.
Does any of that sound familiar to anyone?

Bad voltage regulator?? 🤔 Could just be a coincidence that it happened at the same time you stalled the vehicle...
Yeah, it might be, I did some other work not too long before that. Voltage regulator isn't something I've checked yet, thanks.

Just to be sure, the voltage regulator on a 1991 J75 is internal, right? If not, where is it, because I’m not seeing it on any of the wiring diagrams or my shop manual. I‘m assuming that when the schematic says “Alternator w/IC Regulator” thats what it means.

Just to be sure, the voltage regulator on a 1991 J75 is internal, right? If not, where is it, because I’m not seeing it on any of the wiring diagrams or my shop manual. I‘m assuming that when the schematic says “Alternator w/IC Regulator” thats what it means.
Yes I believe it is integrated... sometimes you can identify that alone as a fix if you are on a tight budget to keep you going. But if you already have it pulled, go get it rebuilt is what I would do! Then you are good for another 25 years... hopefully that gets you all fixed up and back on the road!

Yes I believe it is integrated... sometimes you can identify that alone as a fix if you are on a tight budget to keep you going. But if you already have it pulled, go get it rebuilt is what I would do! Then you are good for another 25 years... hopefully that gets you all fixed up and back on the road!
Cheers mate!

I think you may also have earth problems on top of a dead alternator. Normally just the charge light comes on when the alt dies. By adding new battery leads, you will usually extend the life of the starter and alternator. 30 yo battery leads are usually showing signs of corrosion and thus causing resistance.

I think you may also have earth problems on top of a dead alternator. Normally just the charge light comes on when the alt dies. By adding new battery leads, you will usually extend the life of the starter and alternator. 30 yo battery leads are usually showing signs of corrosion and thus causing resistance.
Good ideas, thanks. Love the signature quote, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom