HZJ73 Pitman Arm and Other Steering Bits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to get a bit of front end wobble at speed and that sloppy left/right centerline feel on the steering wheel. Have done a visual and both tie rods have tired/cracked rubber. Have gravitated toward the Pitman Arm as being most likely cause, but am curious to hear what you folks have done to cure the shakes. It's an old truck, so probably just about every piece of rubber in the front end could use replacing at this point but I'm shooting for most likely culprit to keep the budget sane.

Also, I'm finding either 45411-60250 or 45411-60120 as the Pitman Arm... any idea which is the right one? This is a June 1990 HZJ73.

Already replaced the steering damper, so that's out of the way.

Usually these wobbles are from a castor problem, often called a death wobble. Slop in the steering is probably the tie rod ends. This is the pitman arm number for your model but I doubt its the problem.45411-60120 (the other number is for the light duty coil sprung models)
If its not the tie rod ends ,the slop is most likely in the steering box.
Death wobbles are often caused by more than one problem.

Thanks for reviving this one guys. I hadn't attempted anything yet and the wobbles haven't gotten any worse, or better for that matter. Tie rods will be my first step. They look aged but not destroyed. At 27 years old they'll probably crumble off on disassembly.

. At 27 years old they'll probably crumble off on disassembly.

You will need a tool to remove them most likely. Some prefer the "pickling fork" type, others like the press type. Spray with solvent a few days before.
But you need to confirm the problem 1st

To close the loop on this one, @roscoFJ73 was spot on with the tie rod ends. Can’t speak to the install as I happily paid a shop to do them. They fixed the wobble and I did not have to touch the pitman arm. Has also cleaned up some vibrations in braking.

Great service and shipping on the tie rod ends from @cruiseroutfit.

To close the loop on this one, @roscoFJ73 was spot on with the tie rod ends. Can’t speak to the install as I happily paid a shop to do them. They fixed the wobble and I did not have to touch the pitman arm. Has also cleaned up some vibrations in braking.

Great service and shipping on the tie rod ends from @cruiseroutfit.

Thank you! Glad to hear it tighten up your steering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom