Hydro Assist Rams... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
been stalling on this for a year or better, but it's on my "need to do soon" list now...

Surplus Center has a double acting 1.5" ram with 3/4" pinhole connectors for ~$80. My concern is that the tie rod has a minimal amount of verticle travel as it passes thru its stroke, and that this force acts upon the ram mounts.

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2003072923092105&item=9-4410-06&catname=hydraulic

The other option is a ram from West Texas Offroad with heim ends for ~$200. While a better unit, I'm not sold on need for the heims for what little angle changes there are.

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/hydrosteering.html

Anyone with experiences in ram installs wanna comment?

I do note that many competitors use pin-style rams with no problems...

The pin style of the ram shown may be hard to mount to get access to the lines. The pins should be vertical to follow travel of the tierod. Another thing is the hiems will be easier to attach to the tierod and make mounts for the housing.

Although the west texas ram looks like the rod diameter is small. Its only hydro assist, but protect it well.

I think the main difference will be the "close tolerance fit" difference. You won't find pin type connections on an aircraft any more than heims on backhoes. You are sort of on middle ground. Pins rattle. Heims cost. Pins wear. Heims cost. I think I'd go hiem.

For my full hydro I used heims. But that's kind of a given. The cylinder I got from surplus center had the ram cut in half at the ends with 3/4" holes in them. I don't know what yours looks like beacause it said the subject had expired or something like that. I just mounted the heims right on the flat spot of the end using a 3/4" grade 8 bolt. I haven't had any problems and it is still working fine. Hope this helps some

I just returned from The Badlands and saw the hydro work Troy did on my wagon and it's full of heims. I was too amazed at all of his work to count! Troy knows his sht so I would go with heims galore!

Here are a few pick so far if they help.
Goebeler

another

and another

Yes Eric, I drooled! I have the westexasoffroad assist on my rig. The ram is mounted behind the tie rod, outta harms way. Heims on both ends, and for that matter on all the steering stuff.

Mike,
I look at the pics once a day myself while at the office and am drooling myself. The thing steers great and seems to be placed nicely so as to not get bashed on the first rock the wagon sees. When are we wheeling? My red one is at Troy's so if you need to get some anger out, go take it out. You will be reminded rather quickly as to how nice the coils work vs the soa leafs. Also, someone owes you a few bucks for some steering parts. Shoot that basterd an email or call so he can get your address and send you the cash. Sorry to hear about the axle bs.
Eric

Woody,

I use a ram similar to this one
p9-5493C.jpg
only it has a heim at the stationary end.

I have friends with the AGR setup with dual heims and I find that they move too much and cause the tierod to rotate and then the ram is putting to much effort into rotating the tierod and not helping steer the truck.

I can show you how mine is setup when I see you Saturday.

woody, what's the deal with you losing THE true sign of a 40.. our front guards...................................................

blasphemy (can i spell it ???)

:)

[quote

I have friends with the AGR setup with dual heims and I find that they move too much and cause the tierod to rotate and then the ram is putting to much effort into rotating the tierod and not helping steer the truck.

This is something that with a simple adjustment, can be negated.

Non factor.

[quote author=Poser link=board=12;threadid=4661;start=msg51822#msg51822 date=1066360452]
This is something that with a simple adjustment, can be negated.

Non factor.
[/quote]
So what is the simple adjustment?

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=12;threadid=4661;start=msg52370#msg52370 date=1066521018]
So what is the simple adjustment?
[/quote]

Take the slop out at initial set up of the tie rod. Each end, tie rod or rod end, can have a slight twist in it, one end one way, and the other end the opposite way, so that the tie rod does not rotate so much.

Old mechanic at a tire shop showed me that one, long ago.

[quote author=Poser link=board=12;threadid=4661;start=msg53060#msg53060 date=1066694104]
Take the slop out at initial set up of the tie rod. Each end, tie rod or rod end, can have a slight twist in it, one end one way, and the other end the opposite way, so that the tie rod does not rotate so much.

Old mechanic at a tire shop showed me that one, long ago.
[/quote]
Yep thats the kind of things old mechanics at tire shops pass down.
Cool, I didn't think heims were adjustable. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom