Hydraulics (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are converting our '63 FJ-40 from a 3 on the tree to a 4sp manual with the use of an SM465 behind a Chevy 350. I have already bought a clutch but I am not sure as to which master cylinder and slave cylinder to buy. Is there anyone that sells the parts for this conversion or would I be better off trying to explain this to my local NAPA guy and get strictly Chevy parts? Anyone who has done this swap who has relevant information such as sources and part numbers would be appreciated.

I used the stock toyota stuff with the AA adapter to the bell housing but i did have to reroute my line from passenger side to driver side

2nd the AA Adapter and stock hydraulics....see my write up in the tech section for p/n's and prices and pics.

Woody, read your tech link. &nbsp:Did you encounter any problems with the stock hydraulics pressure abilities. Someone once told me that te stock hydraulics will not have enough pressure to push the new clutch. We are installing an 11" clutch. Also, SOR has a hydraulic update kit that comes with rubber hose, has anyone used this. Is there any improvement over OEM?

What type of clutch did you buy. I had trouble with stock slave cylinder on 3 finger stock chevy clutches. I believe the throw of the cruiser clutch master and slave is less than the chevy 3 finger clutches.

I would recommend stock cruiser hydraulics with a centerforce conversion clutch which requires less throw to operate.

Just my thoughts

As Reubie stated, make sure the clutch is a diaphram, not a 3-finger clutch. Then you won't have a problem.

No pressure problems, still installed and it's been what, 6 years now?

The factory setup uses a hydraulic hose, what Specter sells is the newer 4-speed master/slave/hardline/hose as a "conversion" since the older slave is no longer manufactured. This is a little better than the older stuff since the slave bore gets smaller, so more pressure and more travel is created based on the amount of fluid flow.

IIRC the majority of sm465 came with a mechanical linkage to actuate the clutch. Not until the later years did they have hydraulic clutches, these transmissions have a finer spline count than the desired 10 spline. So some type of convertion is required.

Just in case you already bought a 3-finger clutch, I did too and it works with stock LC master and slave and the AA bracket. Mine is 12" though because my engine and 465 came out of a 1-ton.

Moving the slave cylinder to the driver's side means it is now mounted upside down. I had to remove it and turn it right side up to bleed the last few bubbles out of it. And the length of the throw is just enough to fully disengage the clutch. I will have to adjust the linkage more frequently to account for wear since I don't have a short-travel, diaphragm type pressure plate.

Don't have many miles on it yet but I know this setup will be fine for years!

Hope I didn't just jinx myself. :)

Thanks for all the help guys. I did get a diaphragm style clutch. I will go ahead and get the stock replacement cylinders. If I run into troubles, I'll be back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom