hybrid D60 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever heard of cutting your nuckles off of a toyota front axle and welding dana 60 nuckles on? I realize you would have to get custom axle shafts and have to change the front rims, but is it possible? What about dana 44 knuckles? It seems like you could use all of the d60 outer parts (hub, brakes, etc.) and have a way strong axle.

i asked currie if they could do it but they wanted the third member side gear for them to tell me if they could do it or not,all pro do it for about 5k sunray do a ford9"d60 outer for about5.5k

As noted, AllPro has been doing this for several years. IMO it is a lot of work and/or $$ for the benefit. With the hybrid, you get stonger shafts and outers, but are still stuck with the limitations of the Toyota third member, including 30-spline side gears (and hence axle shafts) and very limited range of lower R&P gears. I would recommend a complete 35-spline (inner and outer) D60 narrowed to your specifications.

I agree with Medusa's approach. Find some cheap used and build to your specs. Make sure you go with kingpin D60, not earlier type.

I like my Dana 60's. They have worked great for me. They are not for everyone,for many reasons. Further, there are products out there that seem to be working for others very well, smurf,long,etc. But, they are not for me, in my application. I do not want to have to even think about breaking a birfield, or an inner or ???

I did not want to go hybrid, and would not now. The only thing that I would consider changing is going to a ProRock center from Dynatrac for my 60's. I am going to be building a set of 60's for an 80 project that I have going on and will be using those center sections. Should be a funtime!

[quote author=Medusa link=board=1;threadid=4265;start=msg41754#msg41754 date=1063726141]
As noted, AllPro has been doing this for several years. IMO it is a lot of work and/or $$ for the benefit. With the hybrid, you get stonger shafts and outers, but are still stuck with the limitations of the Toyota third member, including 30-spline side gears (and hence axle shafts) and very limited range of lower R&P gears. I would recommend a complete 35-spline (inner and outer) D60 narrowed to your specifications.
[/quote]

Well said. My 60's are getting worked over as we speak.

[quote
Well said. My 60's are getting worked over as we speak.

Are you making them yourself, or having a shop make them, and if so, how much?

How are they going to be configured? (bolt pattern, brake set up, lockers, etc)

Actuall it is a 60 front and a shaved 70 on the rear. I am having a shop narrow them down. Im staying 8 lug with oem disc in the front, rear disc from Blackbirds custom trucks. Cro mo shafts from dutchman 1.5 x 35 spline all the way through. CTM joints 4.88 R and P with arb's front and rear. OTT high steer arms

I need a :beer: (out of breath)

Cost? Cost? you cant be concerned with that and if I actually bring myself to say it I probably will cry (did I mention that Im also installing an Atlas)

Lets just say alot but you cant take it with you.

The labor to narrow them is not bad its the Bling Bling parts that kill you.

Cost? Cost? you cant be concerned with that and if I actually bring myself to say it I probably will cry (did I mention that Im also installing an Atlas)

just curious why spend all that money on the axles, then buy a $1000+ bombshell and have it as your weak point?

[quote author=HI^C link=board=1;threadid=4265;start=msg52185#msg52185 date=1066442330]

just curious why spend all that money on the axles, then buy a $1000+ bombshell and have it as your weak point?
[/quote]

What is weak in this set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom