Hx35 on 2h. Looking for direction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi , thought to post the question here...
I asked friend for a hx30 and a hx35 appeared ....
What sort of tune can happen with the stock 2h from a 60 series ...

What sort of limits is there with this model....
Any thoughts would help me move to figure out the next purchase .cheers

IMG_20210610_205210.jpg

IMG_20210610_205148.jpg

If you're towing I'd suggest a 12HT rather than a turbo 2H, I've never had a turbo 2H that didn't run hot

Too big. It won't spool up well and will starting boosting too high in the rpm. Hot and smokey will be the result and 2H is hot enough already!

Its an IDI diesel, when turboed a significant amount of the additional heat ends up in the coolant through the cylinder head/precombustion chamber, Its an inherent limitation to an IDI diesel and why very few are factory turbocharged and those that are generally have trouble shedding the heat. Think Toyota 2LTE, Chev 6.2/6.5, TD42T, turboed 1HZ etc.

Too big. It won't spool up well and will starting boosting too high in the rpm. Hot and smokey will be the result and 2H is hot enough already!
You know I deliberately pasted one of your 2018 private messages from you to me about the hx30 to my friend hoping he would not do what just happened......

About spooling the hx35 , is this a dead subject for you more expert guys , or is there a chance to still use and get to keep the fabricator guys who suggested the hx35...

You know I deliberately pasted one of your 2018 private messages from you to me about the hx30 to my friend hoping he would not do what just happened......

About spooling the hx35 , is this a dead subject for you more expert guys , or is there a chance to still use and get to keep the fabricator guys who suggested the hx35...

The turbo needs 50% more airflow than a 4L diesel can give it. Running 50% more rpm is out because diesel doesn't burn fast enough....

Even if you can get some boost, efficiency is terrible because it's so far from it's intended flow.

It does however size nicely for the big turbo in a compound set........

About spooling the hx35 , is this a dead subject for you more expert guys
You have a windmill that will only turn properly in a hurricane and that causes it to destroy itself. Ive heard of diesels with turbos as big as the engine in main battle tanks, but its all designed from the ground up to work that way.

It does however size nicely for the big turbo in a compound set......

Can a 2x compounded setup provide something exceptional through the whole rev range (upto 4000rpm)

Is there any cooling mods to be discussed for the cooling system.....

My friend is clearly visioned on a grunting snorting 4x4 .....

The old, ever reliable 2H is most at home plodding along fully loaded on bad roads. He needs something a bit more modern.

Actually I should make it more clear ..
The cruiser is mine and it needs a turbo install as it never gets driven the way it is , although I love driving it with it's super stiff suspension I can go around corners like a champ

Problem is I can't do the upgrades without friend and judging by the turbo he gave me he's a madman , which I'm ok with me ofcourse... Just need to figure out how to keep the ball rolling and really have something nice to drive using the 2h motor ...

The HX30 is a great size turbo for a 2H/1HZ indirect injection engine in the 4-4.2L size, although can be quite small when pushing for bigger numbers where the HX35 comes into its own and has been a proven performer for many.

Can a 2x compounded setup provide something exceptional through the whole rev range (upto 4000rpm)

Is there any cooling mods to be discussed for the cooling system.....

Your friend needs to start with a more robust engine and gearbox.
Getting insane torque isn't a big problem. Having the engine and driveline survive is.

What model would you suggest as the small turbo in a compound setup?
That's a question that needs 8 hours of number crunching to answer. I have sets mapped out for Isuzu 4BD1T and Cummins 4BT. But not Toyota diesels.

Since you already have the turbo, and are obviously still interested in it even knowing it's a bit on the big side, I think you should run it and let us know how it goes. Plus if you were seriously considering a compound setup the 4bt guys seem happy pairing the hx35 with the hx30, which is the other turbo you were thinking to run as a single. So if your mate is happy doing the fab work you could learn some valuable information to share with the forum, possibly for those 3 different options.

already have the turbo, and are obviously still interested in it
Yeah , it's as much keeping the project moving with these guys as the cruiser sat for 2 years under my steam.....

I realize I need to burn fuel to tow materials on a heavy trailer but I have a conservative nature...

Somehow I don't fully understand how I can get a powerful cruiser and on the flip side drive economically with no load just going from a to b ....

Plus if you were seriously considering a compound setup
The compound setup seems to be the winner .... I get a very drivable economical vehicle to drive daily?

Isn't that the reason why the single hx35 might not be the best setup ? Drivability ,economical power in the low diesel revs?

Any thoughts on that ?

The compound setup seems to be the winner .... I get a very drivable economical vehicle to drive daily?

Isn't that the reason why the single hx35 might not be the best setup ? Drivability ,economical power in the low diesel revs?

Any thoughts on that ?

Yes. There are no downsides to a well thought out compound set.*

*Except for the cost, space and installation struggles.

Any thoughts on that ?
You really need to check out pages/groups that actually run these turbos on 2H engines, not just pretend they know what is good or not. Turbos like the CT26, HX30/35 are so commonly used on 2H engines vehicles that are daily driven and used for towing with great low down power/ torque. Also not all CT26 turbos are equal, there's more to it than just the outside ;)

If your on Facebook check this page out but a quick google search will find more https://m.facebook.com/groups/155813441786956/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom