hug me sideways... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorr y guys , I am leaning more towards tapping it and put a bolt style plug, I know JB weld works good but what happens if that lets loose ,have some piece of mind and plug it with a screw in style and then LOCTITE it or J_B WELD it .
I should clarify about the welding bit. The VE pump on the HDJ can run with the electrics off right. ie alternator off and then weld it. Sometimes I should clarify or maybe type when I have more time to clarify.
Aaron

Oil Catch Can

Marcin here are some links for an oil catch can to help with the blow-by. The first one is a u-build instructions. Maybe one of the Club members with the equiptment, skill and time might want to go into production? The others are Australian e-bay (cause I was already looking there) offerings.

DIY Oil Catch Can for CA18DET Datsun 1600

Oil Surge Catch Can - Approx 2.0 Litre - Alloy - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Apr-08 20:07:08 AEST)

OIL CATCH CAN CHROME PERFORMANCE TURBO BREATHER - eBay Other Performance Parts, Performance Parts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Apr-08 18:17:03 AEST)

If you drill and tap, coat the drill bit and tap with grease. The shavings will stick to the bit.
Another possibility since it's a pinhole, coat a short sheet metal screw with sealant of your choice (Locktite perhaps) and screw it in there. As long as the screw shank is the right size it would work similar to a plug.

If you drill and tap, coat the drill bit and tap with grease. The shavings will stick to the bit.
Another possibility since it's a pinhole, coat a short sheet metal screw with sealant of your choice (Locktite perhaps) and screw it in there. As long as the screw shank is the right size it would work similar to a plug.

X2 I agree or we agree gasser man LOL My Dad told me that your 2F was getting tired, are you still bringing it to CHURN?

My Dad told me that your 2F was getting tired, are you still bringing it to CHURN?

Won't make Churn, taking the 40 out to Creston and letting my dad swap the F for a good 2F. He has tools and more importantly lots of time.
hijack over.

I threaded the hole with a 4-40 size.
the hole seems to open up 2mm into the block then tighten again, i got 15mm into the block.
I will keep posting with progress.

15mm into the block, won't you be hearing compressed air coming from that hole (-:
GG

John, I picked up a simple oil-air separator, thanks!

Flickr Photo Download: IMG_8249

I put the intercharger after it. Before it was clogged with oil, it is nor supposed to be...
Maybe now it will provide some traceable results.

I cleaned and grounded the block and screwed a 0.5" flat head 4-40 into the threaded hole, primed it with the "hot-cold" cast iron sealer and managed to really tighten it without stripping the thread, then I covered the area with the sealer.

Flickr Photo Download: IMG_8251

I am starting the engine in two days...

The repair looks good there Marcin. Add some oil and dirt and you would never know there had been a hole there. :rolleyes:

BTW, where did you pick up the oil/air separator and how much - cheaper than the e-aby ones? I don't have any oil yet in my intake (knock on wood) but here it is a good thing to do if I ever turbo the TD4.2.

I found one on craigslist.org. It has small 3/8" in and out fittings (versus the 5/8" toyota) and i had to reseal it, but if it works I will build a bigger one...

nice, tidy job Marcin

A question about oil/air separators; would there be any issues with the separator draining back into the valve cover? i.e. the hose from the valve cover leads to the bottom of the separator, and a hose from the top of the separator leads to the air intake. That way, you'd never have to "drain" the separator. It seems so simple, so there must be a good reason why they're not designed that way...

-Steve

The stuff that comes out of the valve cover is dirty on carries a lot of carbon from the blow by, if fed back in, it collects on rings and valves and etc, clogging them up. It is also what makes the oil go black sooner.
The collected oil should be of small enough amount to be drained and disposed of. (3Bs just dump it outside, which could be one its longevity secrets ?)
Well we will see, I am sure my engine has 370K's on it...
I really hate to be the guy smoking blue... even if its a small amount

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom