How would it work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Clutch went out and am getting ready to replace slave and master., although I think it is just the master. My ? is parts for my 66 fj40 are hard to find. What would it take to put a later year model slave and master on this.

seven iron said:
Clutch went out and am getting ready to replace slave and master., although I think it is just the master. My ? is parts for my 66 fj40 are hard to find. What would it take to put a later year model slave and master on this.

If the inner piston its the same lenght, diameter, and, it fits, go for it!

Looked in my ccot catalogue and it did not show any for my yr, but the web site has them. So I'm good to go. They have a kit that will upgrade mine to 74 and up.

yep thats were i was gonna tell you to look. my buddy did it with his 64 and its going on 3 years and no problem.

My 64 (same as your 66) has had a few different iterations of clutch hydraulic combinations. When I got it, it still had the stock master cylinder with the metal can reservoir, but someone had swapped out the slave with a later (74+ I believe) one. The problem with this combo is that the early master has a larger bore than the later master. I think it's a difference of 1" vs. 7/8", which is a decrease in surface area (and hence increase in throw) of about 25%. So the early master gave the later slave too much throw and not enough feel in the clutch. It also led to the premature failure of the slave and a bitchin' left calf muscle.

I rebuilt the slave a number of times. The benefit of the later slave is that you can actually get rebuild kits at just about any neighborhood parts store for less than $10 - just tell them it's for a 78 so it'll come up in their computer.

When my original master finally puked it's guts, I decided not to rebuild it and swapped in the 'update kit' from CCOT. I think it was on sale and I can nary resist a bargain. And by this time I decided I was a little bit too good at driving home with no clutch. All has been well ever since.

If you've got the money to do it, buy the kit and don't think about it again for a long time.

seven iron said:

seven,

Have you tried your local NAPA? I replaced the master and slave on my '76 FJ40 with NAPA parts (they got them overnight) which were factory rebuilt and guaranteed for life. Get this: the master had the ACCO casting mark on the body which is the abbreviation used by Aisin who is the OEM supplier to Toyota of carbs, water pumps, hydraulic cylinders, etc. And who by the way also builds the hi-tech transmission and transfer for the Porsche Cayenne.

Pete

On the early 40/45's (pre 72 I think) thed fittings are not the same size (just like the brake lines) You need to replace the Master, Slave, Hard Line, and Soft Line. You can go to your local dealer and get all the parts from the same year (ie 74) and it will bolt up. You MIGHT have to bend the hard line a little.

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom