How to remove caked on grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you guys tryed using a heat gun like the special fan that's used for scraping old paint ? I think it might work

For heavy grease buildup I start with my 2500psi pressure washer (average home unit), and then go to the parts washer once the bulk is knocked off.

Zep makes some great industrial strength blue degreaser that helps the pressure washer quite a bit.

Steam cleaner is better than pressure washer, but harder to come by.

I've had really good luck using De-solv-it. You can usually pick it up at Wal-Mart. It's an orange oil based cleaner and it just melts the hard stuff off.

It also makes and awesome hand cleaner, but it does remove the natural oils from your skin.

The web site for it is:

De-Solv-it Citrus Solution

Plus.....when your done everything smells like oranges!

I use oven cleaner
Before
Dscn0735.jpg

After(The toy box and Orion are new but you can see how clean the transmission got. )
Dscn1438.jpg

Don't bake your Aluminum gear cases!

They're likely heat treated. They're likely 356 (cast) alloy.

Heating to 500F will re-dissolve all the precipitated that were formed when Toyota carefully heattreated your gear case. When you remove the case from the oven, you likely let it cool on the work bench until you could touch it. This slow cooling allowed the dissolved magnesium-silicates to grow into large (hard, brittle) grains in the aluminum matrix. Aluminum in this state could have been reduced to 30% of its original strength.

Don't get me wrong Coolerman, your transfer-case looks like a museum piece. There's just so much to lose if you've made a wrong assumption in the metallurgy of your casting.

You've got me thinking now... If anyone is interested, I could test a few transfercase pieces, and compare the 'as-delivered' and 'baked' castings...

Anyone have any broken case parts they want to mail me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom