How to refinish Alloy wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone out there ever refinish their own Allow wheels (FZJ-80)? No idea what tools would be needed or best way to go about it. My wheels have corrosion starting so wanted to polish or grind all that off, then repaint like OEM. Not looking for a mirror finish so might have to go back and dull it up a tad after grinding or polishing, and don't want to paint the whole thing. Any ideas?

First you're gonna want some kind of chemical to take off the clear coat. Then get a drill w/ a wire brush and clean everything up. You'll want a dremel tool for the tight spots. You can actually sand the finish down and get a high polish out of the aluminum. It's all dependant on where you're wanting to go. There are several companies that make a clear coat for use on aluminum rims. POR15 makes 1 I believe.

Any ideas on the type and grit of whatever is used to polish or grind? Don't want to damage the aluminum or get scratches so deep I spend a month buffing it back out. Not really looking for a high polish, just back to the OEM look. Guess I could practice on the spare??

Removing finish

Aircraft paint/finish stripper by Klean Strip, I think. Blue/white can aerosol or sread on paste-AutoZone or Advanced Auto. Don't recommend getting on skin or rubber and ventilation is a big+. I'm too lazy to re-post the link but look under my posts and you'll see how mine turned out. I did 2 sets-one is in graphite #102 grey and the other is glossy black. I'll be peeling one set and be getting them powder-coated. I just had my Sub-ba-roo rims done as a trial from a local guy and they turned out nice! I'll post some pics soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom