How to Import (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody know how to import a Bj70 to the US? I know you can get a letter from Toyota saying that it will pass the NHTSA stuff, but will the 3b Diesel pass EPA? What about US Customs stuff?

There's a post from a guy in Minnesota who has brought in two BJ70's. I'd talk to him and see what the problems might be. He had his older BJ70 listed in the vehicles for sale section.

Good luck to you. I know that it's possible with the right importer and money, but brother NOBODY wants to explain how they did it. The guy I bought my HJ60 from told me that hey paid an importer in Albert 1000.00 bucks, and six months later was called and told that "It worked"!

Later he was told that MAYBE not every thing was on the up and up.

No big deal though, as once youve got US registration and title and plates you are GOLD MAN!

There is a guy running around Pheonix with a BJ74. Man I'd KILL to know how he did that one.

TB

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80174#msg80174 date=1072311879]
There's a post from a guy in Minnesota who has brought in two BJ70's. I'd talk to him and see what the problems might be. He had his older BJ70 listed in the vehicles for sale section.
[/quote]

Actually 70seriesaddict is a SHE. I think she's actually an importer herself.

Well I have heard of wuite a few people getting the from Toyota saying that it passes all the NHTSA stuff ( I think it NHTSA, I get all the departments mixed up). And then I know that an 88-95 Landcruiser from Canada is automatically considered EPA safe, but I want to know how to get an 86 through the EPA. Will the 3b diesel pass emissions for states like Montana and Arizona. Lastly what exactly does customs do with regards to importing vehicles? Are the just the enforcers or do they have their own set of standards?

"Actually 70seriesaddict is a SHE. I think she's actually an importer herself"

So how do I contact this lady?

Any chance I can get a phone number or email address?

TB :p

i have an importing question that maybe someone knows about...when you bring a truck down, they check to see that the vin on the body and engine match up...well if you swapped in say a 350, obviously those numbers are not going to match....does anyone know if thats a dealbreaker or not? i mean i also know that if the vehicle is 25 years or older that it is not subject to importation restrictions....
man i wish there was a bbs where you could ask all these questions about importing vehicles....**hint hint** :flipoff2:

Well, I know in Washington state to legally change out an engine it needs to be the same year as the vehicle or NEWER!

I dont know if having a different engine will nix the deal.

TB

[quote author=HZJ60_Guy link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80580#msg80580 date=1072465455]

[/quote]

dont know her email off hand, but look her name up in members list, if she doesnt have an email listed, pm her on here.

[quote author=HZJ60_Guy link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80580#msg80580 date=1072465455]

[/quote]

Her username on this forum is 70seriesaddict. Look at her IH8MUD profile for contact info. She also has a BJ70 listed for sale in the vehicles for sale section.

Ya I saw the BJ70 listed and I emailed and PMed her a couple of times and still no response.

[quote author=HZJ60_Guy link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80452#msg80452 date=1072407646]

There is a guy running around Pheonix with a BJ74. Man I'd KILL to know how he did that one.
TB
[/quote]

prolly more like Tuscon...........just a guess but is it white? ;)

[quote author=isozelmonic link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80620#msg80620 date=1072473318]
Ya I saw the BJ70 listed and I emailed and PMed her a couple of times and still no response.
[/quote]

She could be out of town.....it is the holidaze...

[quote author=mancinator link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80581#msg80581 date=1072465985]
i have an importing question that maybe someone knows about...when you bring a truck down, they check to see that the vin on the body and engine match up...well if you swapped in say a 350, obviously those numbers are not going to match....does anyone know if thats a dealbreaker or not? i mean i also know that if the vehicle is 25 years or older that it is not subject to importation restrictions....
man i wish there was a bbs where you could ask all these questions about importing vehicles....**hint hint** :flipoff2:
[/quote]
I know when we brought the FJ55 up from the states there were ONLY interested in the VIN. It did not matter if it was just the door pillar with the VIN tag still on it (well it sure seemed that way). The U.S. customs agent told us that if it has a VIN tag it's a vehicle, if there is no VIN tag then it's parts. They gave us as much hassle with the '74 body as with the '76 truck and they were not looking at the engine or frame numbers, just the VIN tag on the door. That's my experience.

so CRUISER_GUY.
are you saying that it is harder to bring down 'parts' than a full rig?

Just a thought, wouldnt it be easier to just disassemble the rig ..bring it in as parts and then re assemble it in the states. OIt would take some time..but, it would seem this way could save a lot of BS paperwork.
Just a thought..

Joe M

Keep in mind some people who have successfully imported the 70 series into the US legally are intending to make a business of doing so. So it is not in their best interest to reveal to anyone else how it was done. IMO it is going to be a short lived business anyway since there are only some 600 BJ70's sold in Canada and these were only available between 85 and 87.

If I were you I'd start with the NHTSA webpage and go through the Registered Importer route. It has been done and it can be done again.

Dave

I am currently in the process of importing an FJ45 by myself. I thought about working through an importer, but I decided that I would learn more if I did it myself. Of course, I am importing a 78 Fj45 so automatically I avoid any EPA and NHTSA requirements, but I decided to do a lot of reading on my own to CMA. The 25-year limit is established by the NHTSA. The EPA on the other hand is a separate entity and has a 21-year limit. They also separate between diesel and gas, so I concentrated more on the gas side, so if you are interested in a diesel, the cutoff dates might be different.

Then there is a third agency involved - Customs. I went through the customs regulations and thought I found a NAFTA loophole. I called an agency head in D.C. and the loophole wasn't available. The agency head did say that a lot of what the Registered Importers do is know where the regulations are, what offices to call and all the right paperwork to fill out. Paying a RI is like paying a law-clerk to fill out paperwork that you could do yourself if you knew what forms to do.

As for the NHTSA and EPA paperwork, from my current understanding it is all filled out at the border. Another word of advice is call the border crossing point that you are going to use and speak to an inspector on the matter to get an definitive answer. Some border crossings might be more relaxed than others, but I find that hard to believe in this day and age.

Once it makes it past customs, then everything else is left up to the State agencies. For instance, in Colorado because I won't have a U.S. title, the Colorado HWP will have to inspect the vehicle to make sure that it isn't stollen. Then the State emissions will inspect it, which it won't pass in its current non-US form. All the state stuff I don't mind, I'm holding my breathe though until I get it into the US.

One last point. Along the way in my research, I've been told my agency sources that very little differences in vehicles between Canada and the US can keep the vehicle from coming to the states. Most common beliefs is that seat belt restrainers, safe glass, safetly door beams are the first things to be required in the US, but the gentleman in D.C. made a comment on a U.S. built Chevy something, made for the Canadain market, had the Canadain required daytime running lights. Someone attempted to return the Chevy to the US, but the Canadain running lights were too bright or not bright enough for US standards. That is were the RIs come into play, they file all the necessary paperwork to guarantee that the vehicle meets US specs, whether they really do or not. The RIs risk lossing their licenses if they are caught, so they may or maynot be scrutinized as much as a normal citizen attempting to import.

Anyway, I leave on the 15th of January for Calgary to bring back the FJ45, to I will post something once I am back successfully.

Michael

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80777#msg80777 date=1072526912]
so CRUISER_GUY.
are you saying that it is harder to bring down 'parts' than a full rig?

Just a thought, wouldnt it be easier to just disassemble the rig ..bring it in as parts and then re assemble it in the states. OIt would take some time..but, it would seem this way could save a lot of BS paperwork.
Just a thought..

Joe M
[/quote]

I'm saying just the opposite, but even though my experience is bringing stuff north the U.S. Customs Service is still involved. Their ONLY interest is in VIN tags. Canada's only interest is in collecting taxes.

[quote author=madams557 link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg80842#msg80842 date=1072542380]
I am currently in the process of importing an FJ45 by myself. I thought about working through an importer, but I decided that I would learn more if I did it myself. Of course, I am importing a 78 Fj45 so automatically I avoid any EPA and NHTSA requirements, but I decided to do a lot of reading on my own to CMA. The 25-year limit is established by the NHTSA. The EPA on the other hand is a separate entity and has a 21-year limit. They also separate between diesel and gas, so I concentrated more on the gas side, so if you are interested in a diesel, the cutoff dates might be different.

Then there is a third agency involved - Customs. I went through the customs regulations and thought I found a NAFTA loophole. I called an agency head in D.C. and the loophole wasn't available. The agency head did say that a lot of what the Registered Importers do is know where the regulations are, what offices to call and all the right paperwork to fill out. Paying a RI is like paying a law-clerk to fill out paperwork that you could do yourself if you knew what forms to do.

As for the NHTSA and EPA paperwork, from my current understanding it is all filled out at the border. Another word of advice is call the border crossing point that you are going to use and speak to an inspector on the matter to get an definitive answer. Some border crossings might be more relaxed than others, but I find that hard to believe in this day and age.

Once it makes it past customs, then everything else is left up to the State agencies. For instance, in Colorado because I won't have a U.S. title, the Colorado HWP will have to inspect the vehicle to make sure that it isn't stollen. Then the State emissions will inspect it, which it won't pass in its current non-US form. All the state stuff I don't mind, I'm holding my breathe though until I get it into the US.

One last point. Along the way in my research, I've been told my agency sources that very little differences in vehicles between Canada and the US can keep the vehicle from coming to the states. Most common beliefs is that seat belt restrainers, safe glass, safetly door beams are the first things to be required in the US, but the gentleman in D.C. made a comment on a U.S. built Chevy something, made for the Canadain market, had the Canadain required daytime running lights. Someone attempted to return the Chevy to the US, but the Canadain running lights were too bright or not bright enough for US standards. That is were the RIs come into play, they file all the necessary paperwork to guarantee that the vehicle meets US specs, whether they really do or not. The RIs risk lossing their licenses if they are caught, so they may or maynot be scrutinized as much as a normal citizen attempting to import.

Anyway, I leave on the 15th of January for Calgary to bring back the FJ45, to I will post something once I am back successfully.

Michael
[/quote]

I would suggest that you get all the information on the vehicle and file the paperwork at the border A.S.A.P. A hassle we had was that the U.S. Customs wanted all the paperwork 3 full business days PRIOR to crossing the border (ie: arrive on Friday get cleared on the following Thursday). Not a big deal for us as we are 15 minutes from the border, but you being in Colorado are a little further away.

Do you think that it's even remotly possible to import a BJ74? There is a guy down in AZ that is supposed to be driving one. The issue for me is that they werent ever brought into North America so how would they qualify twards any of our laws?

TB ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom