How to Import (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really wonder how he can import anything less than 15 years old into Canada and register it. Did you ask if these are RHD or LHD. Maybe these are Canadian mine trucks?

Dave

[quote author=Radd Cruisers link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg83994#msg83994 date=1073153219]
That seems to be a smoking good deal and you did not go for it?

Ohh I have a feeling your PM box is going to get very full.

Rob
[/quote]

Sounds almost too good to be true? I will feel it out a bit more. Tis guy sorta cold called me on some parts I had mentioned in a post but they were not parts I was selling. I gave him the info I had then we talked a bit more, as cruiserheads do, and the HZJ 75 topic came up. If it pans out I wont tell any of you :flipoff2:

Pleas dont PM me on this as there is no more info that I feel OK giving out.

a 1990 hzj wil not be legal in canada, needs to be 15 years or older, I heard they might change that to a certain year, say 1988 and older and keep it there :(

[quote author=dd113 link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg83976#msg83976 date=1073151288]
This giy is not bringing in new trucks and it is not lostguide. I dont want to make this seem like a big secret but I dont want to post it all over. WHat he told me was that he has a rep. in Japan that would buy the trucks. These were not auction trucks but purchased from private sellers then imported legal into Canada. They come into BC then he takes them to his location. He charges the cost of the truck ( I assume there is a markup in there althought he claims there is not) then adds $2000 US to it to cover importing and shipping. He quoted me an early '90s HZJ 75 in good shape with less than 200K on it for around 12K CA out the door. He said they can run as high as 25K CA or as low as 9KCA all depends on miles and condition.

Someone answer my questions about crossing the border; please.
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg84969#msg84969 date=1073340148]
a 1990 hzj wil not be legal in canada, needs to be 15 years or older, I heard they might change that to a certain year, say 1988 and older and keep it there :(
[/quote]

I "read" the same thing somewhere, It talked about 1989 being the date, I can't find the info however.

So take this as pure internet gossip :D

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg83861#msg83861 date=1073111274]
Huh? Not many HZJ75's were available in Japan.
Dave
[/quote]

Try again, there are no (as in zero, none, less than one) HZJ75s in Japan. If the guy told you he bought them here on the new or used market he is a) a liar, b) is getting tricked by his dealer, c) just plain smokes too much crack first thing in the morning.

Trust me, I live in Japan, full time, every rice eating day!

Oh wait, I lied, there are a handfull of back imports from Oz, and they cost about twice what a regular truck does. So unless you are paying through the nose for them forget it.

a) a liar, b) is getting tricked by his dealer, c) just plain smokes too much crack first thing in the morning.

Thats funny Dave, I think you have spent some time on the Pirates board to say something like that :D :D :D :D :D

You know if you keep that kind of talk up Butch is liable to befriend you, just call something gay.

I was wondering how the beer is in Japan as I sit here drinking a local Grandville Island Pale Ale?

Cheers

[quote author=Dave link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg85348#msg85348 date=1073372441]
Try again, there are no (as in zero, none, less than one) HZJ75s in Japan.
[/quote]

Aw, c'mon, no 75 firetrucks or airport tenders?

Dave

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg85364#msg85364 date=1073374609]
Aw, c'mon, no 75 firetrucks or airport tenders?

Dave
[/quote]

He said HZJ hence diesel engine. ALL fire trucks and service trucks get gas engines. ALL.

Please try to pay attention David!

:)

I have found out more info. The HZJ 75s were not comming from Japan. The BJ 74s are comming from Japan. He claims to have no issue with importing either into CA. I am not putting much hope into this right now but I want to run it out a while and see where it goes.

Hey folks,

To anyone trying those "grey" ways of bringing in a truck please be carefull.

I have an 1987 HJ60 that I paid an importer money to bring in.

Before that I brought one in without getting all the paperwork needed. You need NHSTA and EPA at the border. Drove it through on plates. Easy.

Well.... after 9-11 they photo all plates, and it goes in the system.

Less than two months later I got a letter from the FEDS about a "irregularity".
What goes up must come down, no one way trips for cars now.

They have a right to seize, destroy AND fine you. Guess what they did to me huh?

I had the thing titled, insured, everything. And they still got me. On the BJ70's you are even more prone to getting snagged. A local cop may notice the "dodge raider" registered as a toyota and pull you over.

PLEASE PLEASE be carefull. The only way to go now is the legal one, and only trucks that originally sold in Canada, not the double imports.

I often wondered about this idea of the one way deal, are you telling me the US border and Canadian border share information on vehicles coming and going?

Not sure this flies.

Rob

The authorities never told me how they found out, wether it was the record of the plates crossing or the DMV in Canada when the truck's CAD plates were turned in.
In quebec you need to go in with ID when ownership is transferred.

In any case, either do it the right way, or cover your tracks better.

Good luck to all,
personally I would love a diesel rover!

personally I would love a diesel rover!

HOLD YOUR TONGUE YOUNG MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just never had the chance to drive a 1HD-FT, that would change our mind real quick. Plus lets face it those rovers SUCK.

Rob

Well, I love England and the British people, but lordy they cant make a good car to save their lives! :banana: :cheers: :banana:

TB

EXCUSE ME!

But why does everyone insist on cars being reliable, dependable, and running?

Rovers are SOOO nice to look at, and on the off chance it is running, its quite nice.

In the US no one really buys SUV's to go offroad, its to look nice,
heck I am thinking of selling the HJ60 I got in legit because the future wife will NOT get in.

She thinks the truck is ugly. I told her, hey I go in you and your pretty beat!

Lets just say, my sense of humour is lost on some people :whoops:

[quote author=adasilva link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg87267#msg87267 date=1073619626]
EXCUSE ME!

But why does everyone insist on cars being reliable, dependable, and running?

Rovers are SOOO nice to look at, and on the off chance it is running, its quite nice.

In the US no one really buys SUV's to go offroad, its to look nice,
heck I am thinking of selling the HJ60 I got in legit because the future wife will NOT get in.

She thinks the truck is ugly. I told her, hey I go in you and your pretty beat!

Lets just say, my sense of humour is lost on some people :whoops:
[/quote]

I think that I would find a new future ex-wife....

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=adasilva link=board=21;threadid=9209;start=msg87267#msg87267 date=1073619626]

She thinks the truck is ugly.
[/quote]

Alex,
My wife doesn't want to drive anything but the 'Cruiser!!

Which one?

From the sig you own about half a dozen... and diesel no less.

She hates the way it looks, and had a bad experience with diesels when I owned a VW Rabbit pickup. I loved it, but it was a s**t can.

I have owned and restored diesel peugeots (best engine EVER), volvos, VW's and now toyotas. I even thought about converting a Samurai to diesel like one of the guys here, but someone offered me $$$$ for the tonka truck and I sold it to buy the HJ60.

I am addicted , guess cause I grew up with them in Portugal.

Sure, I was all about speed for a while turbocharging anything I could get my hands on, but there is something soothing about the rattle of a diesel engine when you are puttering along. As long as I can go 70 mph im OK.

If I do keep it, there will be a lot more for her to hate, a lift, 33's, turbo, sliders and bumpers, safari racks....

But with the wedding, house and all that stuff, Im not so sure I will get a chance to do all that.

:'(

She'd take the '82 each and every time! Years ago when I still brought it in for service she'd HATE having to drive the courtesy car, usually a new Camry or other such luxury car! I'm serious! Since then the '82 has become a little more luxurious as well (that's an oxymoron when talking about older 'Cruisers) with the addition of A/C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom