How to get hood open on my 91 FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The hood on my 1991 FJ80 won't open. I'm suspecting the cable to the lever in the cab has broken. I can get the lid up approximately 1" and see the latch assembly but I can't figure out how to get it to release. At first I thought, No problem. I'll just pull out the bolts holding the latch assembly to the frame. So I took out the two I could reach.

No go. I think there may (must) be a third bolt at the bottom of the latch assembly but it's behind the center of the grill and I can't see it - much less reach it. And I don't see how to get the grill out of the way without getting the hood up first.

Any ideas how I can get this open?

lots of ideas searching under "hood stuck" but a couple different failures and lots of short threads with not much discussion.
+have helper pull up on hood while you make sure to pull interior latch to fullest open position
+Drive down dirt road slowly pulling handle to shake it open. secondary catch should catch hood and go slow anyways.
+if cable is broken find it and pull with pliers
+it is possible but painful to reach up behind the latch and slowly remove bolts
+if you can get it open to secondary latch a screwdriver can assist in opening latch mech.

lubing the cable or the latch or both is likely your best solution, some have replaced the cable as well and not too hard a job 1hr

If you're up an ~ inch, the exterior 2nd latch should be what's holding it.

Can you get fingers on the flat land you squeeze upward to swing the latch cleat to the right? That's what sounds like you're missing.

Agreed..... however if the latch is gummed up, swinging the hand lever may not actually open the catch, thats where a flatblade screwdriver may help to flip the catch open.

Thanks... Yes, the first catch did release. I can (painfully) get my fingers under there. I can move the hand lever (quite easily) but it does not seem to be engaging anything. I've done some probing with screwdrivers but have not been able to get anything to release. I'll try that again. Getting leverage on any parts under there is the biggest issue. There doesn't seem to be much to pry against to pop it loose.

And I have done some looking on Youtube for stuck hood. Mostly other makes. Found 1 on a Corolla that looks similar, but it was so disjointed I couldn't figure out what the guy was talking about. I'll look some more...

When was the last time you wee able to open the hood? The secondary latch normally will have no resistance or feel. Have you just pressed the secondary latch at the same time you just give the hood a good yank?

Have you checked to see if the cable is intact? Is it connected at the release lever in the cab?

Maybe try having someone put a little downward pressure on the hood while you pull on the release. Hold tension on the release, then have your helper release the hood.
I had a car that this was the only way I could open the hood for a while until I adjusted the latch

OK, so by your 2nd/last post, you have the catch you pull the interior lever for working fine (pops the hood the ~1") -- so what you're down to is simply something wrong in the safety catch, or how it aligns.

Is this a new vehicle to you, or did it work but quit recently?

I'm trying to get at the idea if this isn't a new rig, you know how they are supposed to work when operating as designed, or if this 80 is all Greek to you AKA fresh new owner?

Any chance you either can track down prior owner, or have a local 80 guy whose got a few days more experience with these than yourself?

I without fail fumble the latch for the hood of my '68 Camaro, just from it not being muscle memory like the 80 - so if it's new to you I get it.

Can you see the flat 1.25" square area you pinch upward & the pivot & arm that swings right when you depress the tab, or do you not yet have that much room to work (so then we go back to 'if' the inner hood release is operational)?

From recall when the inner hood latch releases you get right around a inch of it popping up, then when you lift a little more the limiter stops ~2" gap if you haven't pressed the tab to release the safety latch.

Not trying to speak under you, apologies if it seems so - just unsure your experience with 80's & the prob isn't described to the point any of us can just say "Oh yeah - it's your ______".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom