How to Engage 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks

When I inspected the BJ75 that I bought, I could not get it to enter 4HI or 4LO. It operates fine in 2HI. Here is what I tried to do:

1. Put the trans in neutral, foot on brake, and pulled the transfer case level down to 4HI. The 4WD light on the dash illuminated.
2. I declutched, put the car into first gear, and gave it throttle while releasing the clutch. I experienced a free-spinning, sort-of grinding noise, from below. I did not feel any transfer of power through the driveline, so I went no where.
3. I tried the above with and without the locking hubs engaged.

The truck does not have a 4HI button on the dash, like some 70 series trucks do. I also cannot seem to get the truck to go into "N" or "4LO". The transfercase shifter will go into 4HI, but I only experience the above noises, and no engagement.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I check linkages? The seller insisted that it worked perfectly when it was in Europe, so if I trust them, then I am doubtful that the transfer case is bad. Either I am doing something wrong, or a linkage or some other part isn't right.

:hmm:

I have the same transfercase as you. When I pull into 4hi I look for a feeling of the shifter “clicking “ into position. Mine does not have a solid cluck when it engages. It is easy to slide it into neutral so I have to pay attention that I don’t put much side pressure on the lever when moving it. Try moving it around with engine off, then if it seems you get the proper travel, then tey it with the engine running.

I have the same transfercase as you. When I pull into 4hi I look for a feeling of the shifter “clicking “ into position. Mine does not have a solid cluck when it engages. It is easy to slide it into neutral so I have to pay attention that I don’t put much side pressure on the lever when moving it. Try moving it around with engine off, then if it seems you get the proper travel, then tey it with the engine running.

Thanks. But, if the 4WD light is on, surely I am in the 4WD position in the shifter, right? I can't get the shifter to go to the right, so I do not have the "side pressure on the lever" issue that you mention; I can't even get it to go right from H4.

I'll try it with the engine off this evening. All of the above was with the engine on, if I remember correctly.

My light will come on even when not completely in 4x4. It will not move to the right until the lever is back far enough. I'm guessing you are not all the way back on the lever, don't know if it's because something is broke or you are not pulling hard enough. Sometimes I have to be more forceful with mine, mostly when going out of 4x4 if I have driven with it in 4x4 for a bit.

Hello,

This might sound too obvious, but you may need to lubricate the transfer lever links. If not used often, they tend to stick and prevent the lever from moving beyond H4.

Get under the truck and take a look at the shift links. Spray some WD-40 or oil on them, let it penetrate and try again.

If the problem persists, your shaft splies may be burred. You will need to take the transfer apart to check.

Juan

Yes ,dirt, corrosion and lack of use are the most common reasons. Once you get it sorted(I don't think its serious) ,make sure you shift in and out of 4wd periodically. Every time you change the oil give it a good spray with wd40 etc.
Sometimes letting the clutch out slightly and applying pressure to the lever with the engine running will allow the gears to mesh more easily.
Both my 75 series had a t/case that was difficult to shift into 4wd.

Thank you, everyone. Really helpful replies here.

Update: the transfer case shifter will go into all positions with significant force (imagine my body slouched over the bench, pulling sideways to right, with feet pushed against left door). I can feel a little click from 2H to 4H when I push downward even harder. Before, I imagine that I was somewhere in between 2H and 4H, hence no power through the driveline.

I will get underneath and spray with WD-40 before trying it with the engine on. Even sliding the shifter between 2H, 4H, N and 4L seems to improve shifter movement.

More soon. Again, thank you.

Thank you, everyone. Really helpful replies here.

Update: the transfer case shifter will go into all positions with significant force (imagine my body slouched over the bench, pulling sideways to right, with feet pushed against left door). I can feel a little click from 2H to 4H when I push downward even harder. Before, I imagine that I was somewhere in between 2H and 4H, hence no power through the driveline.

I will get underneath and spray with WD-40 before trying it with the engine on. Even sliding the shifter between 2H, 4H, N and 4L seems to improve shifter movement.

More soon. Again, thank you.

I spent 30 mins with a car salesman in a consignment yard trying to get a HZJ75 into 4wd. The salesman was in the passenger seat (RHD) pounding the shifter with his foot and eventually it went in.
If there was something wrong with your t/case internals I think you would know it by now.
Spray it and leave it over night. Even better, dismantle it and clean it properly

You need to use it occasionally to keep it working. When they are stuck , it usually means it hasn't been used for years maybe. The shifter parts are close to each other, so it doesnt take much dirt/corrosion to jam them up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom