how to back flip your 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad mines a diesel, I shouldn't have to worry about that sort of thing.

Glad mines a diesel, I shouldn't have to worry about that sort of thing.

Except for the whole rolling backwards with the engine running in reverse thing :p

Cool video, nice save, and I love how he didn't miss a beat after the endo and keeps going.

That's pretty exciting stuff. I'm amazed he wasn't breaking s*** cause that was some serious stress!

OK, every now and then we get into this topic...
For my taste a REAL Land Cruiser is a complete Land Cruiser,
When you remove it's heart (the drivetrain) it no longer is a Land Cruiser, removing the axles, or in this case everything but the grill it becomes a Chevy or whatever with a Land Cruiser badge. That's like me taking a 3B/H55 and shoving into a Nissan pick up and calling it a Land Cruiser - doesn't work, it's an abortion of stuff put together and deserving neither title. Any time I hear of the TLCA or any other argument that we need to have X amount of Land Cruisers and all I see is Land Cruiser badged Chevys or Hinos or Dodges or whatever - I laugh.
If I made my vehicle with Unimog axles I would not call it a Land Cruiser anymore, I have removed one of the main things that made that truck a Land Cruiser, have I made it worse - likely no, but have I taken away from what it was and turned it into an abortion of things, yes.

So that is not a 40 series Land Cruiser.
It is a very impressive truck that is clearly very capable, well built and extremly durable considering the abuse it is subjected to - nice truck!!!
Although watching that I am reminded of the definition of insanity: to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, but that's just me.

Personally, I agree with all everything you just said but....

That insanity sure looks like fun. :)

OK, every now and then we get into this topic...
For my taste a REAL Land Cruiser is a complete Land Cruiser,
When you remove it's heart (the drivetrain) it no longer is a Land Cruiser, removing the axles, or in this case everything but the grill it becomes a Chevy or whatever with a Land Cruiser badge. That's like me taking a 3B/H55 and shoving into a Nissan pick up and calling it a Land Cruiser - doesn't work, it's an abortion of stuff put together and deserving neither title. Any time I hear of the TLCA or any other argument that we need to have X amount of Land Cruisers and all I see is Land Cruiser badged Chevys or Hinos or Dodges or whatever - I laugh.
If I made my vehicle with Unimog axles I would not call it a Land Cruiser anymore, I have removed one of the main things that made that truck a Land Cruiser, have I made it worse - likely no, but have I taken away from what it was and turned it into an abortion of things, yes.

So that is not a 40 series Land Cruiser.
It is a very impressive truck that is clearly very capable, well built and extremly durable considering the abuse it is subjected to - nice truck!!!
Although watching that I am reminded of the definition of insanity: to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, but that's just me.

Matt - I agree, but you don't understand - its a Jeep thing to do change out 90% of the truck's components and still call it a "Jeep".

tumblr_loeo2eWXDb1qaa3nh.jpg

I disagree, must be the Hot Rodder in me, a 1940 Chevy coup, fuel injected, shaved and chopped is still is still a 1940's coup. Heck, it could have a 351 Cleveland in it and it would still be a 1940 Chevy coup
Damn purists :p
If your truly a purist, keep running those 29" tyres, the second you replace the stock Toyota suspension you've already began to head down the slippery slope

Gears, tires and suspension upgrades is not replacing the heart of the machine. Now if you modify one or 2 smaller things no biggie, but when the only thing that is left is a badge and some sheet metal, then it's not what it used to be.
Hey John, put a 40 series grill on the front of the Nissan - you'll have a Land Cruiser then (by that logic)

:beer: :D

Hey John, put a 40 series grill on the front of the Nissan - you'll have a Land Cruiser then (by that logic)

:beer: :D

It had actually occurred to me a while ago that this would be the easiest way to get the TT mag other than getting some rust heap Cruiser to turn into a front yard flower planter.

I do have Cruiser castor correction bushes and rims. That and the right chrome badge should do it, eh? :hillbilly: If not, I may finally get to install the 60 series airbox that Kim gave me.

Ship of Theseus.

Look it up, it's an age old debate...

Also interesting note, the guy that died a few years ago from American hot rod,
He got nailed by the IRS for this same thing...

Kinda like calling a monster truck a f150.

It had actually occurred to me a while ago that this would be the easiest way to get the TT mag other than getting some rust heap Cruiser to turn into a front yard flower planter.

If you really want to join the TLCA, just do it. Where it asks what Toyota you have just pick your favourite. They aren't going to do a title search to make sure you aren't lying :lol:

If you really want to join the TLCA, just do it. Where it asks what Toyota you have just pick your favourite. They aren't going to do a title search to make sure you aren't lying :lol:

I actual was going to do that a while ago but some CC members didn't like the idea. Marcin saw fit to make a small mod to post the old Safari on the club web site. :D

Since when does the IRS care about what parts are in your vehicle? unless you bought them with money you owed them.

They care when you buy old classic cars, take every thing off them,
Turn them into beautiful prices of work and register it the original 1945 car or what ever classic car it was and avoid taxes that might otherwise be paid or new custom built vechicles, such as exhaust requirements and fees...

Google Boyd caughinton ship of thesis fraud...

Its what we are all talking about here.

Just saying, this debate has been around long before Jesus got his licence.
Seriously, Aerstotile got in on the debate for crap sakes... Lol

Since when does the IRS care about what parts are in your vehicle? unless you bought them with money you owed them.

Boyd Caughington ...
From Wikipedia..

His designs, with centrally featured, scratch-built components, appropriated the foundation of a vintage automobile. In his later days he began registering cars that were essentially completely custom fabrications as antique automobiles, avoiding major emissions restrictions and tax liabilities. California officials considered this a "Ship of Theseus" fraud, claiming that so many central elements were replaced the cars ceased to be the same entity. Coddington was charged with a misdemeanor and pleaded guilty on April 7, 2005.[12]

This is an age old debate, how much of a thing can you change till its not that thing anymore...( according to some past girlfriends, not enough :doh:)

From wiki...

The ship of Theseus,
also known as Theseus' paradox, is a paradox that raises the question of whether an object which has had all its component parts replaced remains fundamentally the same object. The paradox is most notably recorded by Plutarch in Life of Theseus from the late 1st century. Plutarch asked whether a ship which was restored by replacing all and every of its wooden parts, remained the same ship.

The paradox had been discussed by more ancient philosophers such as Heraclitus, Socrates, and Plato prior to Plutarch's writings; and more recently by Thomas Hobbes and John Locke. There are several variants, notably "grandfather's axe", and in the UK "Trigger's Broom". This thought experiment is "a model for the philosophers"; some say, "it remained the same," some saying, "it did not remain the same".[1]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom