How to attract Owls to move-in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have many field mice, chipmunks, and moles and as a long term solution, trying to attract owls to move into an owl house, just put it up here. Not sure if they also help with chipmunks, but moles and field mice hopefully. It's a smaller box for saw-whet or screech owls. It's about 13' high and facing South.

I just put it up this weekend, if it works and an owl DOES move in.... how far does another owl house need to be? are they territorial?

YGBS3335.jpg

Not sure how much of help I am, but I can tell you owls are great to have around. We have 2 Great Horned Owls and NO squirrels or chipmunks, very few mice/voles/vermin, no skunks, possum, badgers or pheasant....and pretty much any other bird/hawk for that matter. They all stay away or down the road a little ways. Our closest neighbor is 1 mile away as the "owl" flies across the field and they have squirrels.
They definitely will eat a lot of other things, are cool as heck to hear them hooting everynight especially this time of year.

Owls are territorial and from what I have read it's from 1/2sq mile to 1 1/2 for some owls. Some owls don't mind other owls being around, I don't know a whole lot about the screech owls.

Looking at your picture and the description of the mice, you likely already have the owls. Yes, they are VERY territorial so adding an "owl box" is not really going to do anything that it isn't already doing. Most species of owl don't hunt in the heavily forested areas as the game is harder for them to see. They will sit on the fringes of fields and open areas. If you want to seriously impact them get some repeating live traps and keep trapping them. Sorry to say, the owls are only going to eat what they need. No other owls will move into the area other than what you already have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom