How to _completely_ disable factory Bluetooth in 2007 NAV GX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched this forum and others, and have not found an answer to this question. (Closest I found was in Lexusclubowners, where a guy was looking for a “turn off Bluetooth so wife won't hear conversation with girlfriend feature.” ;)

Anyway, how can we completely disable the factory Bluetooth? Is it even possible? Is there some wire to pull out or cut? Some little antenna I can unplug? I don’t like the built-in Bluetooth functionality (or lack thereof), nor the sound, and I just want to get rid of it.

don't pair the phone, if its not connected it wont work.

Are you sure about this? Glad to see this talked about here because I like the option of being able to disable bluetooth entirely so its not even emitting its signal.

I would think that its still emitting bluetooth even when not connected because it has to constantly be pinging to find new devices - I would be surprised if it doesnt constantly ping because even systems that it makes no sense to constantly ping still ping constantly to find new devices, so why wouldnt a car?

I would think that its still emitting bluetooth even when not connected because it has to constantly be pinging to find new devices - I would be surprised if it doesnt constantly ping because even systems that it makes no sense to constantly ping still ping constantly to find new devices, so why wouldnt a car?

it wont be looking for a new device if you don't if your not pairing a device. in order to connect a device the phone has to be turned on as well as the Bluetooth on the phone, vehicle on and radio on. go into the phone settings and connect the phone following the prompts. you have to choose to connect a device,. it wont just randomly try to connect with anything that has Bluetooth within range of the vehicle.

it wont be looking for a new device if you don't if your not pairing a device. in order to connect a device the phone has to be turned on as well as the Bluetooth on the phone, vehicle on and radio on. go into the phone settings and connect the phone following the prompts. you have to choose to connect a device,. it wont just randomly try to connect with anything that has Bluetooth within range of the vehicle.
Not that it will actually attempt to make a real connection
But for example an xbox pings about 50 times per second for Wifi connections even when its already connected to wifi.
Im almost positive that the car is basically always pinging bluetooth but considering its this old it is possible that its not and it will only activate bluetooth when you actually prompt it. I can check if someone has a GX I have a RF meter.
But even for example my TV, it has the bluetooth feature and wifi feature, both are on 24/7 (not at the same power as if in actual use) but they are both on 24/7 "pinging" letting themselves be available for other people to discover them. Its truly stupid but thats the way it is.

I would want to disable bluetooth for different reasons than OP I would think but I literally wouldnt want my car emitting bluetooth at all

I would want to disable bluetooth for different reasons than OP I would think but I literally wouldnt want my car emitting bluetooth at all

it still shouldn't be looking for a signal, but even if it is another device wont be able to connect to it unless you let it be searching for near by devices and having a matching connection code. if your just not looking to have Bluetooth at all then you may be able to replace the radio in the truck now with an older factory unit but im not sure what kind of backwards compatability there would be.

Not that it will actually attempt to make a real connection
But for example an xbox pings about 50 times per second for Wifi connections even when its already connected to wifi.
Im almost positive that the car is basically always pinging bluetooth but considering its this old it is possible that its not and it will only activate bluetooth when you actually prompt it. I can check if someone has a GX I have a RF meter.
But even for example my TV, it has the bluetooth feature and wifi feature, both are on 24/7 (not at the same power as if in actual use) but they are both on 24/7 "pinging" letting themselves be available for other people to discover them. Its truly stupid but thats the way it is.

Bluetooth devices definitely periodically scans for nearby devices continuously, even if they won't connected because they haven't been paired. But this is very low power, 100mW at the antenna and at low duty cycle (to preserve power). You're exposed to way more RF from a microwave, a wifi router, and holding your phone to your head talking.

Not sure what your concerns are? Privacy? Health?

Bluetooth devices definitely periodically scans for nearby devices continuously, even if they won't connected because they haven't been paired. But this is very low power, 100mW at the antenna and at low duty cycle (to preserve power). You're exposed to way more RF from a microwave, a wifi router, and holding your phone to your head talking.

I'm not worried about a health concern due to Bluetooth RF. Mostly, it is an annoyance. But as jewish4WD and some others noted, I think privacy/security is an issue as well.

I'm not worried about a health concern due to Bluetooth RF. Mostly, it is an annoyance. But as jewish4WD and some others noted, I think privacy/security is an issue as well.

I think its something most people just dont care about but I bet its possible to disable a specific wire/fuse and get rid of it entirely. If anyone here knows someone at Lexus as Ive seen psoted in many threads, would love it if someone could look into this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom