How much to pay for a reasonable paint job? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone give me an idea of what I should be paying for a reasonable (not cheap, not a total restoration) paint job. The body has some cancer in the usual locations. I'm in Orange County (CA) so if anyone has recommendations, please let me know. Thanks.

i took my rust free fj40 to 4 body shops for a price for a strip down to metal prime and paint job (taking hood, doors, fenders off, glass out ). estimate range17-25 grand. ouch.. ran into an aquantaince (sp) friend of a friend and told him about my project and he says my brother owns a body shop go over there and ill tell him to hook you up!! he took it all apart down to the rolling chassis,(engine out) painted everything from axels up, inside and out to look as new. and yes it does.. amazing job took 3months and my total cost was 8 grand. shop owner said after that he didnt make any money on it and if i bring another he would have to charge more. pt of story find a buddy that knows a buddy.

Hmm okay thanks. I took it to a shop near here and they gave me a range of 6k if the rust he can't see isn't that bad to 10k if it gets nasty. Thanks.

From the times I have talked with my bodyshop buddy that is basically what he has said the normal range is for a "standard" all over paint job with some body repair. Really it depends on what you consider good because each shop will be different. Some body wave will net you a bit less in cost but may be apparent from closer than 10'. But be prepared to spend anywhere from $5k - $10k for a decent all over paint job without much body panel removal or glass removal. Basically, when they start removing parts to paint separately that opens up the can of worms for rust finding, repair and then that is more hours on top.

a toyota dealership quoted me $4,000 to redo the truck 80 series, and thats repairing small rust and pulling small dings, but they did tell me they have to remove panels , glass, etc, to do it right, I will take my 80 there when I get 4000 to burn

Wow these cost all sound so dear!! I'm currently getting my BJ 74 reprinted and a bit of minor body work done and I have been told to expect a bill of $1500

Wow these cost all sound so dear!! I'm currently getting my BJ 74 reprinted and a bit of minor body work done and I have been told to expect a bill of $1500

It probably does not help that in the PRK they have to use magic paint that does not kill polar bears, along with atomic blast-proof paint booths, special computers for filling pollution forms in quintiplates, etc... So that pretty much put out the little guys out of work, no doubt, and jacked up the prices.

In TX I've been quoted $3500-5500. That's why I'm monstalining it for ab $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom