How much paint for a -40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At long last, I'm about to apply body paint the beast.

I think I read somewhere that 1 gallon was stretching it, 2 gallon was better, gave you some leeway for making mistakes. (Not that I make any of those....). I figure it will be better to buy one big batch where supposedly they can make it all the same.

Fyi, I've stripped everything, top to bottom, inside and out and its completely disassembled. Its going back to its original color (smurf blue 854) but there is none left.

ETA: I am using single stage urethane.

Yes your best bet is to have them make all you "BELIEVE" you will need at one time to ensure consistency of color (if you need more then go to the exact same place but there is no guarantee they can match). It is definitely better to have too much then not enough.

I just finished painting my 42 and 1 gallon did the job with just a small amount left over.

Was yours a complete teardown and paint? I plan on paint the tub with it off the frame.

I'm starting to lean toward about 5 - 6 quarts. But thats basically 2 separate cans anyway so there isnt much difference between having one gallon made, then some more later or having 2 batches made at the same time.

Was yours a complete teardown and paint? I plan on paint the tub with it off the frame.

I'm starting to lean toward about 5 - 6 quarts. But thats basically 2 separate cans anyway so there isnt much difference between having one gallon made, then some more later or having 2 batches made at the same time.

It wasn't a complete tear down so i didn't do the inside of the fenders or apron or underside of box . 6 quarts would be better for you.

A gallon should be plenty, by the time you figure activator and reducer you may have 1.5 gallons, depending on the mix ratio of the brand your using. Use a modern paint gun, because the transfer efficiency is so much better. ( old style guns, eg.Binks #62, Binks #7, Develbiss JGA502, waste 75% of your paint in overspray ). A modern paint gun wastes 25% to overspray. Paint the inside and underside of everything first, get a feel for how far your paint goes, how well it covers, so you have enough for the parts that show. Good luck, take your time, mix only what you can spray within about an hour.

Member "Toyota" gave good advice. It will also depend on your skill as a painter. You may spray very thin or very thick and it makes a big difference. Personally, I would go with at least 7 quarts if it is a 4-1-1 mix ratio single stage. I bet you find 6 quarts will leave you very little left over if any given the extent to which you tore down the 40. Always better to have left overs for touch ups than a 2 square are that doesn't quite match. That WILL happen if you have to make a second trip to the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom