How many miles on brake wear items before needed replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At <15K I noticed a shimmy in the steering wheel. I run RWs with 285/70R17 KO2s and don't tow or do a lot of hills and have an aux tank, aluminum skids and all rear seats removed.
Dealer advised to replace all brake wear items, said rotors are warped (yeah).... hypothesized that the wheel spacers were doing the damage.... no evidence just a statement and agreed to do more diagnostic work to confirm.

What are other's getting for brake component mileage?

I get about 30k on pads. Running the same tire/wheel combo. Wheel spacers will not warp your rotors, that was a lazy response. Honestly, the brakes are undersized on all the cruisers prior to 2016 when they upgraded. Upgrading to the factory big brake (i.e. Tundra or 2016+ LC brake components) was the single best upgrade I have done. Pedal feels much better and brake modulation/authority is MUCH improved. For me this was a significant safety upgrade and was relatively cheap ~$500 bucks.

Is the shimmy only when braking? A dealer recommending all brake wear items at less than 15k miles is just looking for extra profit. I’m doing brakes at 60k miles with lots of lowing. Probably go another 15k miles or more if I weren’t so OCD.

I can tell you from personal experience that over torquing the wheel bolts definitely can warp the rotors. I had a bunch issues with this on a certified preown when I first picked it up. The dealer a few sets of rear rotors before we figured out what was going on. So I think given that issue with certainly possible to over torque the spacers and end up with a similar issue.

We did all that work at about 80K and I’m just crossing 103k now and I can tell the brake pads are starting to get thin as the pedal feel is and stopping power is different.

@Cruisin911 what’s specifically did you change? Rotors, calipers and pads? Which pads are you running?

im also running the same wheel and tire combo.

I am running the 2016+ larger brake kit with tundra calipers. I am also running carbon ceramic pads with power stop drilled and slotted rotors.

Is the shimmy only when braking? A dealer recommending all brake wear items at less than 15k miles is just looking for extra profit. I’m doing brakes at 60k miles with lots of lowing. Probably go another 15k miles or more if I weren’t so OCD.
Yep, only when braking.

Yep, only when braking.
That makes it easy. Probably just uneven deposits from the pads stuck on the rotors. Look for a thread on how to remove the deposits.

You do need to correctly torque the wheel spacers.

Last edited:
I just did my first set of pads and rotors at 85k - all oem.
Coming up on 85K on the 2015 and will probably do it then for the first time. Just had the second set done on the 2018 LX at 40K. Did they change material or something between the two years or the two brands (Toyota vs. Lexus).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom