How is everyone mounting BD squadrons in an Ironman bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen a few guys mount BD squadrons in their Ironman bumpers and I'm trying to get ideas on the best way to do it. I've seen, I believe it was Tex's build, where he made a 3 piece bracket, but was wondering what else people have been doing. I have a set of BD round Squadron SAE on the way that should be here by this weekend. Thanks!

E7P8gEg.jpg
BYVFgVn.jpg

I copied another members idea here. You can see in my pics you posted above that I simply mounted the BD Squadron bracket to the bracket I made and then reused the side brackets that came with the Ironman lights to tie it all in to the bumper itself. The only thing you need is the aluminum flat stock, use a vice to make the bends, a hack saw or cut-off wheel to trim it and some drill bits for holes for the bolts and you have your brackets.

I copied another members idea here. You can see in my pics you posted above that I simply mounted the BD Squadron bracket to the bracket I made and then reused the side brackets that came with the Ironman lights to tie it all in to the bumper itself. The only thing you need is the aluminum flat stock, use a vice to make the bends, a hack saw or cut-off wheel to trim it and some drill bits for holes for the bolts and you have your brackets.

Well that's easy enough. I didn't realize those 90 degree brackets are part of the original Ironman lights. The Ironman lights just don't look good on the truck with the LED lights. Thanks.

Well that's easy enough. I didn't realize those 90 degree brackets are part of the original Ironman lights. The Ironman lights just don't look good on the truck with the LED lights. Thanks.

Haha no worries, glad to help! $4-8 in aluminum and half an hour or so of your time is all it should take.

For the brackets, measure 3" and mark a line, measure another two inches and mark a line and then another 3" and mark a line. Bend the aluminum in a vice on the line at a 90 degree angle and then again on the next line to make a 'U' and this forms you bracket. Cut the bracket flush with the starting end so that they match, it should be near your last marked line. Drill a hole on the bottom dead center for the BD light bracket (make sure that the light fits mounted to its bracket inside before proceeding) and then mark holes on the sides at the top where the Ironman brackets sit flush with the top of the bracket you just made. Mount the Ironman brackets wrapping around from the front side of the new bracket and bolt them to the inside of the new bracket. You should have some room with the outer Ironman brackets for adjustment of the light within the bumper pocket.

Sorry @Turbohardtop, I am just now seeing this. Yes, it is 2x3x2, sorry for the confusion.

No worries Tex68. It seems the foglight set up is different on the classic versus the premium. The classic has the plastic housing that is held in by the large metal retainer housing in the back. I could not find a way to mount the BD in this housing so I gave up for the moment. I already made the U bracket as you described too. I might look at the Stedi fogs and Type X driving lights.

20200611_164200.jpg

20200611_164146.jpg

No worries Tex68. It seems the foglight set up is different on the classic versus the premium. The classic has the plastic housing that is held in by the large metal retainer housing in the back. I could not find a way to mount the BD in this housing so I gave up for the moment. I already made the U bracket as you described too. I might look at the Stedi fogs and Type X driving lights.

View attachment 2337006

View attachment 2337007

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected a completely different mount for that bumper. How about making a bracket similar to the stock BD bracket but instead of it mounting beneath the light you swing it back behind the light and drill and bolt it to that bucket housing from the backside?

I was surprised as well. The problem I ran into was that the plastic front housing is held in place by the metal housing with 3 bolts. the 3 bolt on the plastic housing does not have enough clearance for the BD Squadrand heatsink body. I guess I will keep the stock Ironman fogs inplace but might not even wire it up. I will use the BD as ditch lights and get Stedi combo for the front.

I was surprised as well. The problem I ran into was that the plastic front housing is held in place by the metal housing with 3 bolts. the 3 bolt on the plastic housing does not have enough clearance for the BD Squadrand heatsink body. I guess I will keep the stock Ironman fogs inplace but might not even wire it up. I will use the BD as ditch lights and get Stedi combo for the front.

Gorilla Double Sided Tape maybe?

Well...I figured how to mount it. I think I made it more difficult than necessary. I made a bracket similar to ones used for the premium but the dimensions are 2.5x2.25x2.5". I turned the BD upside down to clear the back. The BD does stick out further than I would like. Pictures probably make more sense than me trying to explain. I still have to work on aiming later when the bumper is installed.

20200613_163029.jpg

20200613_153821.jpg

20200613_153707.jpg

20200613_153628.jpg

There ya go. I think they look fine protruding a bit like that. @Washingtontaco has a similar situation with his Rigids and I have never thought that it looked bad. I'm glad you got it worked out.

Could someone confirm the wiring for the signal and parking. The marking on the light is conflicting with the instructions.

If I correlate the marking to the wires, the white should go to ground.

20200615_112033.jpg

Last edited:
I followed those suggestions, should work as labeled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom