How I remove the wiper arms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to take my wiper arms off that are developing rust and sand them down then rustoleum them. BUT- when I poped the cap off and removed the bolt, the wiper arm didn't want to come off. I can't see anything else that holds it on...?

Loosen nuts,but leave on,hit with plastic, or rahide hammer or put a piece of wood on nut and hit with regular hammer.Or buy a smaller puller. MIke

So do you think they are siezed on then?

Man I am glad someone asked. I had no luck getting mine off. Sprayed PB Blaster & even bought a wiper tool. I was able to get the rear wiper off. The tool would not fit in the panel hole so I could not use the tool for the front wipers. Curious, why is it necessary to leave the nut & not remove completely?

The arm where the bolt comes up is soft metal, while the bottom is hardened metal. When you tighten the bolt it presses the hard veritcal grooves into the softer arm metal for grip. Does that make sense?

I had sap fall on my blade camping. Hit the wiper to clear dust off and driver side stripped. Thought I was screwed. But cdan posted up what I explained before. Just cleaned of the bottom part with a util knife to expose the grooves again and bolted back on.

So like mentioned up top just use a material that would damage your truck or arm and go straight up on the axes of of bolt.

EDIT: sorry maybe it was just a but and not bolt. been awhile.

Man I'm going to have to get a visual on this. Would you mind coming up to BC to give me a hand retrofive? LOL

How's this for a crappy visual :lol:
lame visual.jpg

The bottom part of visually stunning visual is the "hard" metal. The arm where it sits on is soft metal. The nut pushes the arm onto the hard metal creating receiving grooves. So could be pretty snug.

Its pretty simple. Take the plastic cover off exposing 12mm bolt. Remove bolt, then remove wiper. Here's the pics:
PICT1969.jpg
PICT1970.jpg
PICT1971.jpg

Last one:
PICT1972.jpg

The hub is slightly tapered, I find that tapping on the end with a hammer and a small punch pops if loose.

Is this the same for the rear wiper? Afraid to just start prying...

Don't be. Wiggle jiggle pull and make just the right facial expression.
Then bamm, it's off and falls to the floor.

The hub is slightly tapered, I find that tapping on the end with a hammer and a small punch pops if loose.

Definitely did the trick for me

I Frigging LOVE ih8mud.....my dumbass didnt time the car wash and wiper on/off in middle of tunnel wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom