How do I get to my flickering bulb for the shifter gate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Does anyone know how to get at the bulb for the shifter gate. There is a plastic chrome ring around the gate, but I am afraid of snapping it. Does that piece have to come off to get at the bulb? Thanks for any help. John

Are you talking about the D light on the dash? how about a pic?

I'd assume he's talking about the D light in the dash, as the shifter doesn't have a light (other than the green backlighting). To get to the light you have to take the whole dash apart and remove the gauge cluster. Lots of people have broken D lights. Give the dash a good smack and it should fix it for a while. Don't worry about it though, it's just a light. There's no other purpose for it.

You need to remove the little cover over the shifter gate? Here's how...

Pull in the cup holders straight up and a little inward. The clips will pop out. Reach underneath with your hands and disconnect the seta heater switched and PWR/2ND start buttons ( the pop out upwards with a little push). Remove the transfer case shift knob ( it screws off) and lift off slowly. The shifter bezel will (or should) come up with the center console. Once you get that off I'd clean everything out while in there and have it off. Unscrew the cup holders and wash them out. There are clips around the shifter gate, pop them off and you'll gain access to the bulb. It's extrelemy small and easy to snap off in the socket. Atleast mine was flimsy. So be careful in that step. My NAPA/AutoZone did not carry a bulb that small, nor could Toyota find one for that socket. So my shift gate doesn't light up anymore :meh: it's no biggie.

If you were looking for the D light in the dash. Forget it, you'll with you didn't fix it. That damn light beaming in your eyes at night while you drive...

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom