How close in size to other 4 does the spare need to be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried search but came up empty. I've got a 2002 LC and I just picked up some 18" Tundra TRD takeoffs (and the spare) from a guy here in Denver. The spare still has the OEM (275/65 18) tire on it as well. I was considering keeping the spare as is and just getting the 4 new tires. The only reason I would use the spare would be to limp to a tire shop. Looking at either 285/65 18 or 275/70 18 tires for the LC. Is the .5-1.0 inch height difference between the new tires and the spare a transfer case killer if it's only driven that way long enough to get a tire fixed or replaced?

The other (more expensive) alternative is for me to track down one more TRD rim and get 5 tires and just rotate them all through. That's probably another $400 I would prefer to not spend unless I really need to.

I tried search but came up empty. I've got a 2002 LC and I just picked up some 18" Tundra TRD takeoffs (and the spare) from a guy here in Denver. The spare still has the OEM (275/65 18) tire on it as well. I was considering keeping the spare as is and just getting the 4 new tires. The only reason I would use the spare would be to limp to a tire shop. Looking at either 285/65 18 or 275/70 18 tires for the LC. Is the .5-1.0 inch height difference between the new tires and the spare a transfer case killer if it's only driven that way long enough to get a tire fixed or replaced?

The other (more expensive) alternative is for me to track down one more TRD rim and get 5 tires and just rotate them all through. That's probably another $400 I would prefer to not spend unless I really need to.
If you are running an automatic locker in the rear it needs to be the same size. Most lc people aren't running Detroit lockers. Selectable and/ or front lockers in the lc world mostly equate to being in a slow motion where there will not be a really noticable ineffiecency in slightly different sized spare. If you are trying to run down the highway locked, you will want same sized tires lol

Running a tire size different than a couple x/32" will cause wear on associated parts. Do it right and match your spare.

If you are running an automatic locker in the rear it needs to be the same size. Most lc people aren't running Detroit lockers. Selectable and/ or front lockers in the lc world mostly equate to being in a slow motion where there will not be a really noticable ineffiecency in slightly different sized spare. If you are trying to run down the highway locked, you will want same sized tires lol
I'm 100% stock for now. Not looking to do anything with a spare except get from where I put it on to the tire store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom