Houston Chapter Meeting Decisions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

frismanis

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.shayahealth.com
Ok, the Houston chapter has been around for just over 2 years, but hasn't really taken off as we had hoped it would. I figure that I'd start a thread for the Houston area people to decide on the best way to try and get a higher meeting attendance.

Initally we decided to hold the meetings on a Saturday for a couple of reasons:

1) Everyone had kids, and we were trying to make the club family orientated, and Saturdays seemed to work best for getting the whole families to the meetings.

2) Houston is large geographically, so having a weekday meeting was difficult for everyone to make it. If I was to drive from my office to Havis' office after work it'd take me the better part of 2 hours. If we eventually got members on the north side of town they'd be almost twice as far. So, if the meetings were on Saturday we wouldn't have traffic to deal with, and we could hold the meetings earlier than 7pm. We also wouldn't have to worry about getting home at a civil hour to make it to work the next day. (Yes Butch, I know you drive 3000 miles to go to the D/FW Thursday meetings :flipoff2: )

Ok, point 2) should've been broken into a few different points, but I ramble some times.

Anyway, it has become painfully obvious that our original meeting plan didn't work out.

So, we need to decide 2 things:

1) When do you want the meetings? Weekday or weekend?
2) Where do you want the meetings? North, South, East, West, or somewhere in between?

Oops, forgot to mention that at the meeting that we had on thursday we talked about going as a group to the Razorback Ramble (June 3-5th). I think that'd make a great event to get everyone back together for something fun. Plus it is only like 7 hours from Houston. :)

edit: just did Yahoo! maps driving directions, and they have it listed as 6:15 from Houston to Hot Springs. 407.2 miles. So with any luck it is less than a 6 hour drive. :)

Last edited:
Saturday sounds like a good idea. I wish DFW could do this every once in a blue moon (except maybe they don't want the families there :rolleyes: ). Chris and I live 6,000 miles away, and work funky schedules so week days are difficult!!! We would love to be able to attend more often.

Marde

I'm all for getting something going; however, my own situtation makes it difficult to get together when lots of other folks can (I work nights and weekends). It would be great to have a Houston area roll call and see who all we have to work with.

dieseldog said:
It would be great to have a Houston area roll call and see who all we have to work with.

Well, I sent an e-mail to 4 other members of LSLC-Houston with a link to this thread asking them to chime in, and not a one has posted anything. I know that it's only been a day, so they might not have gotten the e-mail yet, but I'm hoping they will eventually add their 2 cents.

What would work for you? Do you have a set schedule, or do the nights you work change week to week?

Pretty set schedule, with some overtime assignments as needed when special events occur.

well, I live in pearland and would like to get involved, not a memeber, but as soon as I get the rest of my electrical system and inspection done I will begin attending, so for what its worth, Saturdays early work for me!

TXcruiser68 said:
well, I live in pearland and would like to get involved, not a memeber, but as soon as I get the rest of my electrical system and inspection done I will begin attending, so for what its worth, Saturdays early work for me!

Great! Send me an e-mail address, and I'll put you on the list of people that I send meeting reminders too.

That goes for you too Dieseldog. :)

My e-mail is frismanis@yahoo.com

Can a lurker ask a couple questions?

How often do you meet, and what is the purpose of the meetings?

Just wondering if you could have a "meeting" on-line, given the geographic constraints and the work/family schedules. Of course, I understand you might want to have a beer in one hand and type with the other...

Or maybe the meetings would have better attendance if there was a mini tech session given by a master-wrench, you know, to help the newbs become un-newbs.

Just thinking out loud...

I realize it may sound stupid to have a meeting on line, but my rationale was this: if the main purpose of the meeting is comaradarie, we have managed to find a pretty good dose of that right here on the forum (sick as that may sound to some).

Physical gatherings, difficult as they are to pull off in this spread-out place, can then be reserved for doing the things that you can't do on-line...wrench, show someone how to clean their EGR modulator, throw a blanket party for a deserving newbie.....

I didn't mean to trash the thread...really :whoops:

tarbe said:
I realize it may sound stupid to have a meeting on line, but my rationale was this: if the main purpose of the meeting is comaradarie,
I didn't mean to trash the thread...really :whoops:

I drive 75 miles to the DFW LSLC meetings, missed one since the inception of the club.
Our meetings are social gatherings, a chance to see guys that are like brothers, goof off, drink a cold beverage, look at Cruisers, discuss Cruisers etc. sometimes we'll turn a wrench in the parking lot.....mainly it's a chance not to think about the mortgage, work, or any other of the daily BS that we dwell on all the time.
If the Houston Chapter ever captures the magic DFW has, you won't be asking these questions. :cheers:
Butch

tarbe said:
Can a lurker ask a couple questions?

How often do you meet, and what is the purpose of the meetings?

Just wondering if you could have a "meeting" on-line, given the geographic constraints and the work/family schedules. Of course, I understand you might want to have a beer in one hand and type with the other...

Or maybe the meetings would have better attendance if there was a mini tech session given by a master-wrench, you know, to help the newbs become un-newbs.

Just thinking out loud...

I send out meeting notices once a month. Butch pretty much covered the purpose of the meetings... kick tires and b.s.

Our meetings are not the type that work well as on-line events. There really isn't any formality to the meetings, they are just a way for people wth a similar interest to get together and tell lies.

In the past we have had wrenching sessions at someone's shop, and spent the afternoon drinking beer, ordering pizza, etc.

:)

mantis said:
...they are just a way for people wth a similar interest to get together and tell lies.

:)

Telling lies? Isn't that what this place is for? :D

Do you put the meeting notice on here, or PM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom