Hot Springs on VI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

when you going? I frequent the area as I have friends in Tofino

I had done some research into Kennedy river hotsprings. I was just going to canoe from kennedy lake to the ocean. I was thinking thermal camara too. I have heard the spring is on the north shore. Trip would be planned for late summer as I would want the river to be low. I think the spring might be under the river just off of the shore.

I had done some research into Kennedy river hotsprings. I was just going to canoe from kennedy lake to the ocean. I was thinking thermal camara too. I have heard the spring is on the north shore. Trip would be planned for late summer as I would want the river to be low. I think the spring might be under the river just off of the shore.

That's what I read too. One thing I've found with those thermal cameras is reflections can give false readings. So I was going to head out there first thing in the morning before the sun comes up. This way all the rocks/vegetation are cold, and the sun/sky won't reflect IR off the water. If the hot spring is really there, it would show up then. Tide has to be out and river low also. Gotta time it right in late summer or early fall.

That river is very tidal, at the mouth of the river in the lake the water can become quite salty.

I could definitely be available for this trip. I have been looking into this for a few years. There are a few other springs that sound challenging to get to.

Hi everyone.
Made a trip out to the lower rapids of the Kennedy River in search of the hot springs this Sunday, April 8th, 2018.
Drove in via Deer Main. Road is fine for any vehicle with a bit of clearance.
There is a spur you can turn off of that will get you closer at 49° 7'33.67"N 125°38'54.21"W, but it only takes you about 300-400 meters closer and is very bad condition with large rocks with decent size ditches.
From the end of this spur, we followed a faint road that turned into a path. We had to do some minor bushwhacking through some sword fern and salal, but no big deal.
After another 400 to 500 meters of walking, we made it into a rather large dish conspicuous of drainage. We followed the dish down to the river. There were a few small water trickles, but both were cold. I marked this location at 10U 0306121 5445270 where the drainages enter the river.
We continued northwest along the riverbank, and it got very steep to our left. We couldn't stay near the river as it cliffed out. So we took the high road around, until we were able to descend again. It got quite rocky, and limestone outcrops were starting to appear. We got quite excited because we could hear a spring below us rushing out from the limestone. It was too steep to descend to it, so we kept going along the riverbank until we were able to switch back and head back southeast for 100 or so meters.
We arrived at the spring, and it was a beautiful little waterfall 5 meters high, dumping into another fall 3 meters high. There was a small cave entrance that it was coming out of. (We didn't explore it, as the climb would have been sketchy and wet.)
The water was cold :(
At the base of this spring on the riverbank was some rope tied to some rocks, which was interesting as it looked like boats had tied up there before.
I marked the location of this spring as 10U 0305884 5445437

We got discouraged, and were past the rapids in the river by a decent ways. So we turned around and headed back to the car, muddy and sweaty, not really feeling like going in the hot springs anyway.

I heard that these springs are covered by the river in high water. Maybe that was the case, since it is still early April. But I didn't see any steam or feel any warm water anywhere. If I go back, I want to check out the spit that's further northwest of the rapids, or come back with a heat camera.

If anyone wants to join me next time, feel free to message me directly on here and we'll work out a time. I can also provide pictures for those interested - just leave a comment asking me to.

August or early September and I am in.

Thanks for the update describing what you found! That cave sounds pretty cool. It's all about the adventure and getting out anyhow, so even though you did not find anything it sounds like the trip was rewarding in other ways.

Planning some trips for this year and plotted rumored coordinates of hot/warm springs. Thought I'd post here just for heck of it. A new one I've added to the original list is at Brooks Peninsula (North east corner of Drift Whale Bay) apparently.

HotSprings.jpg

Planning some trips for this year and plotted rumored coordinates of hot/warm springs. Thought I'd post here just for heck of it. A new one I've added to the original list is at Brooks Peninsula (North east corner of Drift Whale Bay) apparently.

View attachment 2595207

ooooooohhhhhh...this would be a fun camping adventure with the kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom