Homemade sheet metal brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been working on this project for about a week. Pivot points are just galvanized cabinets hinges. Base is made from 1 inch square tube and the rest is 1/8 inch plate. It can bend 16 gauge although it's a bit hard to make 90 degree bends since the bends stop too early. Anyway, here it is. The last pic is my first bending project...it's an extension to the console.
img2180w.jpg

img2181o.jpg

img2182z.jpg

img2186j.jpg

:clap:great piece of equipment..........big question; :hmm:could you have used it to fab the rusted out parts on your roof?

Lou

:clap:great piece of equipment..........big question; :hmm:could you have used it to fab the rusted out parts on your roof?

Lou
Yes but not the way I designed it. I needed to have the 2 pieces closer together to get bends that are less than 1-2 inches. As it is right now, I can't do the bends to make a rain gutter.

awsome work:clap: have looked at the sheet metal brake from HF but way too flimsy:frown:
Lou

I looked at some online too, but I like making things and not paying as much for them too, so it worked out nicely. I may end up making another depending on how this one holds up and how much bending I have to do in the future. I'd make my next one out of 1/8 or 1/4 inch instead, just so that I know for sure it can handle the bends.

One always feels good when you can make something and it works. On welding your hinges or even bolts with zinc plating, them fumes are not good to breath. Take your hinges, bolts and other hardware and dip in Muratic Acid, it takes less than a minute and the plating is gone. This acid can be bought at the hardware store, follow precautions on the label. I take the parts I am doing and rinse with water to delute the acid residue. I always keep a gallon in the shop just for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom