Homemade aux fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone has put in a non-commericial aux fuel tank in their 40? I've read about a Suzuki tank setup. I'm replacing the tub on my '79 with an aluminum tub, adding 2.5" lift, and new exhaust (dual mufflers perhaps). I don't know if I really NEED this mod, but I think it would be fun to try. I was hoping to find an inexpensive tank, run an electirc fuel pump to the main tank to keep things simple. I don't really want to deal with the hassle to be able to run from either tank. I just want to be able to fill up the main tank.

Any info or ideas are appreciated. :cheers:

Can't,,hold,,on,,much,,longer! Come on, some one has to have something made up!

I have made a few fuel tanks, and would not mess with it again, not worth my time...

" I don't really want to deal with the hassle to be able to run from either tank. I just want to be able to fill up the main tank."

well in your setup you would need to transfer fluild both from and too your main tank to your aux. the gravity fill on 79 and later is impossible i believe. I have a not seen a suzuki tank? clue me in please link, etc...

I see no reason one could not be made or use and existing pre made tank like a square race tank under the rear, or even under the seat area.

AMOUNT in gals you want might be the biggest problem, too much money for not enough gals of fuel. I too have thought about this when i was DD my 406 4speed 4.88 33" tires 79 fj40, whooping 6mpg didnt build it for mpg.
things have changed and no longer a priority.

I'm having a hard time finding the link but I'll keep on looking. I don't know much about fuel tanks, but I was thinking I could find a small tank, 10-15 gal, that could be secured under the tub. It could be a race tank or one from a junked vehicle of some sort.

So I cant just run an electric pump and a "T" into the main filler neck? I don't see why I need to transfer fuel into the aux.

[quote author=HI^C link=board=1;threadid=11641;start=msg106415#msg106415 date=1077063389]

" I don't really want to deal with the hassle to be able to run from either tank. I just want to be able to fill up the main tank."
[/quote]

Texaco, Shell, Amaco...those are a few of your options

Like I said, I don't realy even need the aux tank. I just think it would be a fun project to try.

Does anyone see why you couldn't do this? Safety, physics, etc? I had invisioned a toggle switch to turn on the electric fuel pump from the aux tank it would simply fill the main tank. I don't need to be able to transfer fuel because I was planning on a second filler neck behind the spare tire rack.

I had one in my '64 when I got it. When I was rebuilding it I took it out and found that it needed some cleaining. Found that POR15 gas tank sealer is more expensive than Tiging my own aluminum tank. So I just made one. Pretty easy to do with normal 16 ga. CRS or HRS. Make it easy on yourself though. Just cut a template for your tank out of cardboard. Then cut, bend, and weld. It is fun and you can get another 18 gal. min from it. Oh, before you weld in the top make sure you make a "C" from some scrap. I made it from a piece about 5" long and 5" tall. Weld it 1/2" from the wall on the feed line side. It keeps the fuel there and eliminates fuel starve from sloshing. Hope this helps. Will take some pics while doing the one for my buddy.

Sound like a good idea for you to take lots of pictures of, and do a write up on it..

Good luck!

-Steve

Pix would be key for me. Not too smart ::) I realy don't know what you mean by the "C". I'll have to think about it a little longer. I have no welding experience whatsoever. I would like to learn, but I don't know if this is the project for me to learn on. I wouldn't be opposed to buying one you made if the price was right.

I was just going to find a used tank and slap it up there. Apparently the Suzuki tank already has a skid plate on it.

I am trying to make a bunch of write ups for the stuff I am doing to both of my cruisers for you guys. Really sucks finding time to do all of this stuff though. Anyone in Md. want to be a dedicated shop camera guy :D?

The 'c' would form a baffle in the tank....

If you have not welded anything ever, it would be a very good idea to check out a votech program in your area on this subject...

Good luck!

-Steve

Ok, I get it now. thanks for the clarificatinon Poser! Ya I would like to take a votech class. How long would one of those run? Right now I spend 2-3 months in Iraq and then 4-5 months back home so it's kind of difficult to find a routine that I can get into that will allow me to learn. It's definetly something I'm intrested in though.

Get me a civi. job in Iraq, and I will teach you to weld...

What do you want to do? Those civi's aren't all that safe either. In both Iraq and Afghanistan they keep on puting land mines on the roads that the contractors use and try to kidnap the Civi's so they can trade them for guys stuck in Guantanomo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom