Home AC help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
So the compressor on my home AC unit s*** the bed. The Warranty company sent out a service person who identified the problem. They ordered a new compressor and it'll arrive soon.

My problem is that they new want to use virgin R22 in the system instead of recycling the existing freon. 8 lbs for about $560.00. My main concern is that they are just doing this to increase the amount of money they make off the job. The system is not going to be purged, so any leftover "stuff" in the system will still be in the evaporator and the condenser. They didn't even say anything about replacing the dryer. If, when the compressor grounded out, it scattered metal flakes into the system and contaminated the freon I can see the need for replacement. But I also think at that point flushing the system would be necessary (if it's even effective at all). I would think a replacement of the entire system would be more worthwhile at that point..

Is this common practice? The Existing AC unit is about 15 years old.

Recovery and reuse in the the same system it's recovered is the standard, but it must be properly filtered/dried. Either the warranty company requires virgin R-22 because they know service guys scimp on the recycling process (filtering and drying), or the service guy is BS-ing the company.

Since this all has likely played out by now, what did the service guy say the next time you asked about this?

Whats usually the issue with a bad compressor is not a mechanical failure but an electrical one. As the windings within the compressors motor begin to fail, the coating on the windings degrade with the ever increasing heat being generated by the failure. This whole process can turn the lubricant within the system acidic in nature...which will in turn just ruin the replacement compressor. Use of a suction line filter is imperative when a compressor is replaced, and I'd certainly request a complete system flush as well. The drier on the liquid line should also be replaced.

Last edited:
Haven't done A/C work since the nineties. We used a text kit that checked the refrigerant for acid. If it tested good would recover and reused. If it was bad recovered and replaced. No matter what always installed a suction dryer on compressor replacement.

So the AC company swapped the compressor out and the Drier. Charged me for R22 and Filled the system with R744.

It's been hot, but my electrical bill is significantly higher than it was last year. From what I understand, the retrofit systems are less efficient than a system designed for a specific refrigerant.

Can't trust anyone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom