hj75 transfer case pops out under load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1989 land cruiser hj75, H55F transmission. Recently I was taking her out off roading and noticed the transfer case popping out of 4HI and 4Lo when putting her under load. (climbing up a hill). The other day for s***s and giggles, I wanted to see what will win in a "tug of war" between my hj75 and my 200 series. while "tugging" on the 200 the transfer case would pop out on the hj75. The transfer case does not whine vibrate or make any clucking sounds when its in 4Hi or Low. Immediately after it pops out of 4 wheel drive I am able to put it right back in 4 wheel drive. I also went under and was easily able to move the levers into 4wheel drive in both 4HI and 4LO. checked the oil and it was a perfect tiny drip out of the fill plug. Im wondering if there's some adjustments that need to be made. Or anything I can do before I drop the transfer case. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have video of the hj75 pulling the 200 and you can hear the transfer case make a loud popping sound.

Is it popping out of Hi Low or 2wd/4wd? They are two seperate sections of the transfer case. Mine pops out of 4wd, I think due to a weak detent spring. I've never bothered to chase it down. Once locked into low it doesnt move. Note I did at some extra material and a notch to the low range external gate to make it a really positive shift/retention.

In the mean time, until someone who knows better, I believe there are two spring loaded balls which hold the hi4 and lo4 when engaged, one of them includes the 4wd light indicator switch on the side of the transfer. I believe if the springs are replaced or packed out, maybe even the balls, it may remedy the pop out. Mine pops out from hi4, but I never use it, so not much of a worry really, some day i shall get 'roundtoit'. Lo4 is fine, use it often.
Why tugofwar?, guess for fun..and humbling. hope it helps. If you search a bit more, someone did a write up on here somewhere.

Is it popping out of Hi Low or 2wd/4wd? They are two seperate sections of the transfer case. Mine pops out of 4wd, I think due to a weak detent spring. I've never bothered to chase it down. Once locked into low it doesnt move. Note I did at some extra material and a notch to the low range external gate to make it a really positive shift/retention.
Both 4wdHI and 4wdLo. I can drive around (in dirt snow or muddy areas) in 4wd no problem. its only when I start climbing or pushing it hard is when it pops out.

In the mean time, until someone who knows better, I believe there are two spring loaded balls which hold the hi4 and lo4 when engaged, one of them includes the 4wd light indicator switch on the side of the transfer. I believe if the springs are replaced or packed out, maybe even the balls, it may remedy the pop out. Mine pops out from hi4, but I never use it, so not much of a worry really, some day i shall get 'roundtoit'. Lo4 is fine, use it often.
Why tugofwar?, guess for fun..and humbling. hope it helps. If you search a bit more, someone did a write up on here somewhere.
I was reading around hoping I can find a tread.

I will definitely look into the springs. I'm not to familiar with T/C's, are the springs and balls something I can pull out. buy and replace?

just for fun I wanted to see what would happen between the two. it was fun I have to admit.

another thing is, when its in either 4hi or 4lo, if I hold the lever it will stay engaged "longer" before popping out. idk just thought id mention that.

you can search here at the top page such as '4wd pops out', 'transfer problems hj75', etc or use google which probably is better search software, can even look for images, which shall end up taking you back here..

left side looking from front of transfer is a flat bolt head about 19/22 mm unscrew spring and ball is behind. I used a washer as a packer until I got around to ordering new spring and ball from one of the internet parts shops . eg megazip

left side looking from front of transfer is a flat bolt head about 19/22 mm unscrew spring and ball is behind. I used a washer as a packer until I got around to ordering new spring and ball from one of the internet parts shops . eg megazip
just got back from another outing, problem still persist.
ill look into the spring and ball. hopefully that will fix my problem.
I also noticed that it pops out more frequently in 4hi then 4low.

awesome! ill keep digging around looking for more info

Both 4wdHI and 4wdLo. I can drive around (in dirt snow or muddy areas) in 4wd no problem. its only when I start climbing or pushing it hard is when it pops out.

Same as what I had, Add some material to the gate, done.

Hello,

Someone beat me to reply.

H55F and its transfer case slip gears in old age. The springs get fatigued and do not work as intended.

Inspect and replace as needed.

Juan.

Hello,

Someone beat me to reply.

H55F and its transfer case slip gears in old age. The springs get fatigued and do not work as intended.

Inspect and replace as needed.

Juan.
thanks for the reply. ill be inspecting them is weekend. if worst comes to worst, ill just have it rebuilt by the awesome guys over at valley hybrids. I've heard good things about them.

Make sure your trans mount , and engine mounts are solid. Under load the transfer lever can hit the floor and physically knock it out of gear.
Yep had this issue, easy fix with new motor mounts

Pretty sure Georg already rebuilt those?? If he has’nt, definitely the source for a proprer rebuild!!!

I will definitely look into the springs. I'm not to familiar with T/C's, are the springs and balls something I can pull out. buy and replace?

They are called detent springs. I suspect they are the same in other Toyota transmissions

Says it fits all

They are called detent springs. I suspect they are the same in other Toyota transmissions

Says it fits all
imma order them and give them a try. also check all the mounts. pull the floor mat and see if anything is rubbing or hitting.

imma order them and give them a try
That link says it fits all toyota t/cases, but I would presume an American dealer is thinking local I would check that it will fit your HJ75 t/case because they are not sold in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom