hitch mount for RTTs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shameless plug for my mountain bike buddy's unique product. It's a cool idea for the right users.

I haven't seen it in person yet, but I've seen their bike racks and they are nice. Pros of the hitch tent are you don't have to carry it all the time, you can still get in and out of the garage, you can have a RTT and a functional roof rack, you can loan it to your buddy who doesn't have a roof rack but does have a trailer hitch, you don't have to be parked on level ground to have a level tent, your pets and little kids can get in and out of the tent easily, and so can you when nature calls in the middle of the night.

It's been tested in tough terrain (including the Rubicon I believe), but hanging off the hitch definitely affects your departure angle. And, like your swing-out spare, it's in the way when you stop for lunch and want to get into your fridge.

Christian (the owner) has a killer 200, also, that you can read about on the REP site. I know this isn't the right tool for everyone here, but hopefully some 'Mudders will find it appealing.

It has its tradeoffs, like most things. For tailgate access you can drop it down pretty easily and/or you could mount it on a side-swinging mount that they have on their website (like some bike racks). If you aren't moving camp daily, it would be nice to drop it off so you can run around without having to pack up every time. I guess best of both worlds is a hitch mount and a roof rack so you have your choice depending on plans.

My only concern is these tents aren't designed to fight the elements on their sides. Let alone the debris swirling
around the back of a truck. I certainly like the concept and for many it's a cool solution. My Maggiolina Extreme
comes with 12" legs as an option and being able to just have it sitting on the ground I've wished for more than once.

This is a pretty interesting approach and I can totally see this working for some folks, especially for very light wheeling and when you're going to spend a while in the same campsite. Not a cheap solution if you factor the cost of the RTT as well, but there's all sorts of budgets out there.

At some point tossing a 4-man ground tent and a sleeping pad into the backseat and spending a few minutes setting it up and taking it down is easier. That rig looks like it would constantly be in the way. The hassle appears to outweigh the benefits. But that's just one guy's opinion. I like new gadgets and support anyone who's coming up with new cool stuff. It's not for me but I hope sells a ton of them.

That is sort of an intriguing concept on paper. In real life I would think it would easily become problematic.

That is sort of an intriguing concept on paper. In real life I would think it would easily become problematic.
Problems like what? It's not ideal for all situations, but neither is a tent on the roof or messing with a ground tent or sleeping in the rig. I agree having it on the bumper can be inconvenient. So is having a spare tire on a swing out. But this is only in there when you are using it, not every day like the tire.

This is a pretty interesting approach and I can totally see this working for some folks, especially for very light wheeling and when you're going to spend a while in the same campsite. Not a cheap solution if you factor the cost of the RTT as well, but there's all sorts of budgets out there.
The cost is less than many roof racks. Once you have an RTT on a roof rack it's good for very little else (aside from an awning mount). Just depends where you want to spend your money and how you use your rig. Lots of people on this forum spend 2-3 times that much to put a tire on the back bumper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom