His and hers cruisers in Wyoming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought my wife a 100 series in Utah this past weekend. 1998 with rear locker 185k for $8500. We are both ecstatic. She has been driving our triple-locked 80 for the past 3.5 years. I haven't been allowed to touch it (read lift) due to our 4 young children. Nonetheless I did manage to put on some sliders and 255/85 KM2's. With the wife driving a 100 now I can do what I have always wanted to the 80 but the 100 needs some money thrown at it 1st. The first issue that needed immediate addressing was a large hole in the factory muffler, I really wanted the catback from DT or EMS but time and money dictated the quick and easy fix. The muffler is a maganaflow but it does have an exhaust rattle under load now so I will need to take it back in to the exhaust shop to sort that out in 15 days when I'm done with this hitch (oilfield schedule). I have always used CruiserDan for my 80 parts and I need to get this thing baselined. Who does the 100 series crowd prefer for their oem parts? Lowe Toyota? Cruiserdan? Other? I am loving the v8 power my 80 has 260k on it and needs a regear badly even though I'm only on 33's. The 4.7 in contrast feels like a rocket. It has 265/75 16's BFG AT. My wife could care less about the rear diff lock but I was very excited. The previous owner fixed the apps sensor. I am amazed at how many things remain unchanged going from the 80 to 100. If it ain't broke....Things like shifters, tailgate and hood latches, fuel latch, power seat buttons, I could go on and on. Their was basically no learning curve for my wife to just jump in and drive, it feels like the same vehicle in so many ways, just more refined and way more powerful. Did I mention I love the power? It is going to be real hard to avoid the headers and catback everyone is talking about. Let me give a list of planned mods and maintenance.
Synthetic oil--Unlike the 80 this thing doesn't leak and I am going to try running synthetics throughout.
LED's- probably from Pfran. Kids leave lights on. I hate dead batteries. This cruiser will probably get the die hard platinum like the 80.
HIR's - I have them in the 80 and like them, unless their is a better option in the hundy.
Leather-- I know Shane is the man and I love his stuff but....does anyone have a front passenger bottom in good shape, tan color. If I could just buy that we could get a few more years out of it because all of the other leather is in such good shape. PM me if you have a good front passenger bottom. It is a large tear and it isn't on a seam. The driver's seat is surprisingly good. I used lexol on everything with good results. Previous owners did not detail for sale.
Slee step sliders so I can take it on black bear pass.

One oddity, the carfax showed that a new short block was installed at the dealer when the cruiser had 20k. I would like to know that story.

So far we love our hundy and I know this thread is worthless without pics, they will be forthcoming for the visually impaired.

Tyler

[...] and I know this thread is worthless without pics, [...].

Tyler

+1^^ :idea:

Congrats and looking forward to the pix ...

Congratulations on the 2nd in the family. I get my parts from my local toyota dealer, the parts guys are great, and will sometimes give me a 10 or 20% discount because I told them I want to do the work myself, it isn't anything against the dealer mechanics. So, if you are ever in Casper, our parts guys at Foss have treated me well. That is weird they replaced the engine at 20K. I would almost go out on a limb and say a bad oil filter intall, or drain plug install after an oil change and they ran it dry or something weird? Maybe they overheated it for some reason and kept driving it! But if they only damaged the engine block, it shouldn't be the overheating? I have worked on some cars that high school girls (no judgment, just coincidence) blew a coolant hose and kept driving it for days...they needed new engines. I have no idea. You can register on the toyota maintenance site and pull up the history, I used to have the whole history, but now it is only going back to 120K miles.

Good luck...share some pics.

Last edited:
Congrats. My wife's family is from Lander. Took the 100 up into Shoshone lake a few years ago, great trip. Plenty of ATV's and a Jeep or two with wide eyes that a mall vehicle was up there.

Congradulations on the new cruiser. There almost mandatory here in wyoming.

Congrats. My wife's family is from Lander. Took the 100 up into Shoshone lake a few years ago, great trip. Plenty of ATV's and a Jeep or two with wide eyes that a mall vehicle was up there.

Shoshone lake is definitely on the to do list, just didn't make it there this year, although we did take the 80 into Christina Lake this year with a canoe and Kirkham's bag on top. Got some long stares out of that one.

Congratulations on the 2nd in the family. I get my parts from my local toyota dealer, the parts guys are great, and will sometimes give me a 10 or 20% discount because I told them I want to do the work myself, it isn't anything against the dealer mechanics. So, if you are ever in Casper, our parts guys at Foss have treated me well. That is weird they replaced the engine at 20K. I would almost go out on a limb and say a bad oil filter intall, or drain plug install after an oil change and they ran it dry or something weird? Maybe they overheated it for some reason and kept driving it! But if they only damaged the engine block, it shouldn't be the overheating? I have worked on some cars that high school girls (no judgment, just coincidence) blew a coolant hose and kept driving it for days...they needed new engines. I have no idea. You can register on the toyota maintenance site and pull up the history, I used to have the whole history, but now it is only going back to 120K miles.

Good luck...share some pics.

I might have to check them out, we don't go to Casper often but I travel through constantly for work in Douglas and Greeley. If my yota dealer here in Lander doesn't want my business that might be an option. I will have to check out the toyota maintenance site, never heard of it. I would like to know the whole story though on my shortblock.

I have nearly new BFG AT's, quite a bit of weight was used to balance them. I have a shimmy above 60mph. In the FAQ's I read that many tire shops don't use the haweka adapter as they should and it gets balanced hub centric rather than lug. Is it worth finding a shop with the Haweka adapter for lug centric balancing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gopro picture
Update.
I have installed pfran's 100 series led kit now and I have an order from Shane coming soon for all 3 rows of leather two tone, oak/chocolate brown with accent stitching. The exhaust rattle I mentioned above was coming from the cat shields. The exterior is really quite nice on this thing, I just need to make the interior match. Speaker covers and seatbelts are soiled as well as carpet. Worn steering wheel. I'm hoping the new leather from shane will do wonders for the interior and with the LED's this thing ought to "pop".
I'm thinking the 80 woulld look dashing in a fresh coat of mahogany pearl with 35's....
december 12 010.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Lander always wanted to go back. First time I was there I hit some black ice an hour south of town and rolled my wife's rig at 60 mph and got ejected. It was a champagne '98 100 series.

Sorry for the hijack, memories came rushing back, thought I'd share. Watch out for black ice during Wyoming winter wind.

I hope we have better luck on the slick roads around here in the winter. Vehicle ejections generally don't turn out good when the scenario starts at 60mph. Luckily my 98 is not champagne. The battery failed today. Earlier this week we were at a Big O getting the tires balanced because the previous tech had probably done the balancing on the hub and not the lugs. While we were there they tested the battery and said it was bad. I half hoped it wasn't true because I've been soaking a lot into this thing lately. 5 days later it leaves my wife stranded. It was a walmart battery and lasted 2 years 5 months which seems exactly what they are designed to last. My 80 series has a die hard platinum in it which is what I really want for the 100 but living in the middle of nowhere Wyoming has some negatives. My nearest Sears is 120+ miles away. I understand the OEM batteries have good life often going for 6-8 years which seems acceptable but I hear they are pricey. Walmart is 25 miles away, I will not be getting a walmart battery. Would you try the dealer, make the drive to sears, or....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom