1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Temp Locktite

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by GLTHFJ60, Aug 16, 2005.

1. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

I'm putting my truck back together today, installing the manifolds, and I have two quesions. First of all, I wanted to know if I should lather some high temp Locktite on the manifold and exhaust bolts so that they don't back out. Is this a good idea? BTW, I didn't find any info on this from searching.

Also, I don't think my engine manual has the torqueing specs nor the torqueing pattern for the manifold bolts. Anyone with this info?

:beer:

2. wingysataday

wingysataday

Media:
    hells yah use the freakin lock tite. Those damn bolts always fall off. A little carb cleaner free's em up when ready to take em off!

3. 2badfjs

2badfjs

dont put to much locktite on them.
    if you ever have to remove them,to much l/t will booger up the treads

4. MutleyFJ62

MutleyFJ62

I'd suggest using the copper Neverseize rather then locktite. If you torque them up properly, you'll be good as gold, especially in cast iron heads.

5. GLTHFJ60

Thank you. The guy at autozone told me to buy this high temp, high strength Permatex stuff that he said I will have no problems with. He did say though that if I use too much, then I won't get the bolts off again, so I figured it was the right stuff.

Do the torquing pattern and the toque numbers appear in the engine manual?

6. 2badfjs

2badfjs

start at the ends and work your way to the middle

7. GLTHFJ60

Well, I found the bolt pattern in my 2F manual, but it didn't include the small bolts that are on the extreme ends of the manifold. I just mimiked the pattern for those too. BTW, the engine manual says to work from the middle out. First top middle, then botttom middle, then top outside, and then I did the farthest outside. It took me a long time because I couldn't line up the ones on the outside. The manifolds are on though. Soon....