High Rock Canyon NV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

I'm curious if anyone out there has done the 4x4 route through High Rock Canyon in the NW corner of Nevada? I was checking around on the ID and NV clubhouse section of these forums but they don't seem to active, so wanted to check with the local MT folks.

This orange line is the canyon pass. Some Google searches revealed a few videos of water crossings and steep banks but nothing to major.....I go solo on these trips, with my wife and dog, in a 100 series cruiser. We'll be heading in late May which can always be hit or miss up in our neck of the woods but who knows what to expect in a desert canyon situation.

I called BLM and they warn me to take two full size spares and don't go alone, but I will foolishly ignore their advice. Then again the guy said he did it last year in a stock F150 so that was inspiring........ I also feel like airing down on these sharp rocky type trails is stupid, I want my tire to be filled properly and rigid enough to resist puncture and side wall stress but I know some folks are hell bent on airing down all the time.

Anyway It's nice to get an idea of what we're getting into so figured I'd see if anyone out there has been through before. This trip really makes me want to add a winch as well but then again not many places to hook up out in the desert. Will just have to proceed with caution.

1710355039516.png

Last edited:
While on the topic of steep banks, river crossings....I'm curious of peoples experience / thoughts on approach angles when dropping off banks....

I know it will depend on the scenario but I often wonder if it's better to drop off / climb up something square on with it, or to hit it one tire at a time? My current thinking is that, if I can do it straight on without bottoming out, then go straight on. If it's too steep go one tire at a time but that can get sketchy sometimes.

Any general guidelines here? Example from video below of someone running High Rock Canyon
>9 minutes in has some good examples along with some footage of this trail run

Gotta imagine if the little jeep could do it my 100 will do fine. Just gotta make sure I don't bury it in mud

defiantly keep it straight er ish if your in your 100 series with the IFS. The solid front in my 80 is much more forgiving then the IFS when it comes to sinking a front into a hole when im coming down a drop or a ledge. In the FJC it was alot of hold it straight and just keep the wheels pointed down hill and no panic brakeing. I thnk that just rolling through the drop is key and dont turn into it and slam on the brakes.

if your trying to drive up something you dont have the approach angle for good for you. i havent to many places to scrape the front of the LX on the way up. always coming down ill hit my hitch or carrier . Ive hit front on the way down in Moab a couple of times.. that was fun

Hey,
I'm curious if anyone out there has done the 4x4 route through High Rock Canyon in the NW corner of Nevada? I was checking around on the ID and NV clubhouse section of these forums but they don't seem to active, so wanted to check with the local MT folks.
Mike,
Never done it but it would be great to see a trip report when you get back. I am intrigued by remote routes like these. Have fun & be safe!

defiantly keep it straight er ish if your in your 100 series with the IFS. The solid front in my 80 is much more forgiving then the IFS when it comes to sinking a front into a hole when im coming down a drop or a ledge. In the FJC it was alot of hold it straight and just keep the wheels pointed down hill and no panic brakeing. I thnk that just rolling through the drop is key and dont turn into it and slam on the brakes.

if your trying to drive up something you dont have the approach angle for good for you. i havent to many places to scrape the front of the LX on the way up. always coming down ill hit my hitch or carrier . Ive hit front on the way down in Moab a couple of times.. that was fun
Awesome , thanks for the advice .good point I do tend to scrape the ass end more often . Maybe bumper or muffler hits first, who knows .

Mike,
Never done it but it would be great to see a trip report when you get back. I am intrigued by remote routes like these. Have fun & be safe!

Agreed, since buying the cruiser our lifestyle has changed so much. The last 6-7 years have been filled with finding some really remote trails and camp spots ....we usually do a week at a time and have never done the same route twice.....I figured worst case scenario on this one to Nevada, getting stuck in the desert and not making it back to work on time wouldn't be the worst thing in the world....

This traces one of the original passes to Oregon California from the emigrant trail. We've done a few sections of this route and they are always wild. It really makes you think and connect back with the past. I'm over here wondering if I need a winch and how much food to pack on my cooler , meanwhile people did it by horse and wagon with no sense of what was going to happen next 100+ years ago

I try not to show off these spots too much but I realize nowadays , it's probably not hidden anymore and some other jabroni probably made some stupid YouTube videos of them already doing it.....

will report back here after we pass through in late May

Last edited:
Bored at work.....Watching snow depth maps and snotels around the area. Looks like most areas over 8K are still holding deep snow and probably won't be clear for any passes until June. Dang the Cascades out to the west got hit hard this year.

There is another great wilderness in Nevada called the Jarbidge. Looks like they are still holding deep snow and I don't think I'll make it this trip but it's on my radar for another time. It's amazing how many hidden little spots there are in this part of the country.

High Rock Canyon area shows all of the snow melted off in the past few days. I suspect water levels are high now. If the melt has already started this early we should be in better shape by May. They open the gate the second week of May this year.

1710961269150.png

1710961296645.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom