High output Alternator for my 1988 LC HJ75 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I am looking for a High output Alternator for my 1988 LC HJ75 2H . What are my options, does anybody know?

Thank you!

Guido

Hi there, I am looking for a High output Alternator for my 1988 LC HJ75 2H . What are my options, does anybody know?

Thank you!

Guido
The bugger with most new things is that it is hard to fix or get replacement regulators, especially internal ones. I was traumatized in an old 40 series years ago when one night the lights went bright then faded, the battery starting to die as it was not being charged. Since then I always try to keep a spare reg.
The new bosch ones are ok, 5 year warranty(so they say), but asian bosch not german bosch. Regulators for the bosch can be found with some effort if you pull it out find the number and hunt as a separate entity. Bosch shall not help you as they want you to buy a new altenator again, every 5 years. The pump is not as well finished as the original, but works. I hunted high and low to find a reasonably priced reg as I consider over $80 for a few diodes robbery. I eventually found some which fit a mitsubishi made by AS for under $20 from spareto. Stocked up.

Baxters have the best reputation being used in mine sights, ecoated , meant to be the bees knees but I cannot for the life of the anywhere in the world find a spare reg. A forum member represents baxters and is getting back to me, waiting. The baxters oil tube in the back from the pump is a bit long , but fits and works. It is meant to be 120amp, but the original dual battery setup I constructed is 80amp bimetal fused so I have to spend some time with it to get pulling the 120amps.

I have an inverter. connected to the second battery. I made some effort to minimise draw from the alternator as when driving at night with lights, fan and wipers chews most of the available original 80amp current. Stedi led driving lights h4 copper heads made a big difference in current draw. But still in the process of getting the pretty blue hi beam light to warn me..have to install a loom to the earth..

I have too many spare alternators and regs..

What are my options, does anybody know?

Do you want to go bigger Amps or get rid of the alternator vac pump and replace it with an electric vac pump, is it 12v 24v? I think there is an Isuzu truck alternator that can work also but possibly 24v only.

Hi, I want to go bigger amps, 12V. I am looking for a bigger output to charge crank and house batteries faster, through charge controller, when the solar panels don't get enough light in the winter.
Thank you!!

The bugger with most new things is that it is hard to fix or get replacement regulators, especially internal ones. I was traumatized in an old 40 series years ago when one night the lights went bright then faded, the battery starting to die as it was not being charged. Since then I always try to keep a spare reg.
The new bosch ones are ok, 5 year warranty(so they say), but asian bosch not german bosch. Regulators for the bosch can be found with some effort if you pull it out find the number and hunt as a separate entity. Bosch shall not help you as they want you to buy a new altenator again, every 5 years. The pump is not as well finished as the original, but works. I hunted high and low to find a reasonably priced reg as I consider over $80 for a few diodes robbery. I eventually found some which fit a mitsubishi made by AS for under $20 from spareto. Stocked up.

Baxters have the best reputation being used in mine sights, ecoated , meant to be the bees knees but I cannot for the life of the anywhere in the world find a spare reg. A forum member represents baxters and is getting back to me, waiting. The baxters oil tube in the back from the pump is a bit long , but fits and works. It is meant to be 120amp, but the original dual battery setup I constructed is 80amp bimetal fused so I have to spend some time with it to get pulling the 120amps.

I have an inverter. connected to the second battery. I made some effort to minimise draw from the alternator as when driving at night with lights, fan and wipers chews most of the available original 80amp current. Stedi led driving lights h4 copper heads made a big difference in current draw. But still in the process of getting the pretty blue hi beam light to warn me..have to install a loom to the earth..

I have too many spare alternators and regs..
Hi there, wow, that's a lot to take in. You clearly know more about all this than I do. When you say Asian Bosch, isn't Bosch German?

Bosch started in Germany, but like most manufacturers have moved where life, lives and real estate is cheap! Even toyota. Why toyota moved out of Oz. Some bosch is still made in germany.

I have good experiences with roadsafe but not used their alternator. What ever it is, try to make sure you can get a regulator for it, as the oem toyota regs won't fit or work for many if any of the aftermarket alternators especially internal regs. I have an autosparky associate, I was bitching how every alternator has a different reg. He said welcome to my world!
If the manufacturer does not come forward with back up for their product, you have to go by word of mouth.
After all that, the thing about electronics, might never need a spare reg for twenty years. But then the alternator is near useless unless you have a reg.

I havent forgotten about you @sodafeld1 still working on your Regulator. Been fairly hectic here and I apologize for the delay.

@WandatheTroopy we have a few options depending on the output you're after. Thanks for the mention @SNLC

that would do it! but, personally, I admire empty engine bays.
guess could run a second alternator from the rear drive shaft with spring tension pulleys and charge a battery in the back with a short lead. that would be novel. getting carried away...
I think I agree with the empty engine bay, one of the reasons I ripped out my aircon. :) But very interesting, I had not heard of that.

There is a alternator brand called roadsafe for hj75 that's 120 amp . It's about 430 bucks from roadrunner offroad in vic and probably other places.
I know nothing about the quality sorry.
Thank you!! I'll for sure look into that! Appreciate it!

Interesting, I have not heard of that. Is that what you did?
Its common on diesel boat engines. Usually one is for the cranking batteries and the other (usually larger) is for the house batteries.

I think I agree with the empty engine bay, one of the reasons I ripped out my aircon. :) But very interesting, I had not heard of that.
i ripped out aircon too, they always need recharging, take up room, extra work on the engine, another thing to take off when working in the bay, dries out your nose and throat, good for demisting windscreen tho...bob dylan apparently despised aircon too, he did some good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom