Hi Again and Rusty A-Pillar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Headliner: yes I left it in and I had no problems, the metal I was welding is thick and far from the headliner.

Near the windshield I could feel heat from inside so I went very slowly, 2 tacks then wait until it’s cool to the touch.

I over lap my patches now. I never try to cut out and make flush. Too much effort for not enough gain.

So I cut out the rust. Make a patch that is 1/4 all over bigger and lay it on top and spot weld it all around. Grind the weld down to make it semi ok. Clean it up, use a etching primer. Then put a light coat of bond-o over to make it look smooth.

I also light to always say, stay away from pro-15. I used it extensively and found it useless. Rust still forms under it, and you don't see it till it's really bad. Waste of money.

I over lap my patches now. I never try to cut out and make flush. Too much effort for not enough gain.

So I cut out the rust. Make a patch that is 1/4 all over bigger and lay it on top and spot weld it all around. Grind the weld down to make it semi ok. Clean it up, use a etching primer. Then put a light coat of bond-o over to make it look smooth.

I also light to always say, stay away from pro-15. I used it extensively and found it useless. Rust still forms under it, and you don't see it till it's really bad. Waste of money.

Lap welds: I played with lap welds when I started. It leaves a space that can collect water which will explode with rust. They were some of my first welds when i first started and I cut them out once I had the ability to butt weld and I was surprised how much rust in 3 rainy weeks. I zinc painted the backside prior to welding but the inside welds still rusted. Now I can butt weld big gaps so I do that - it lets me rough cut too or use snips which saves a lot of time.

The lazy thing I'm doing now is not grinding very flat. If I grind to flat I wear out the edge of the disks too quickly or I remove metal next to the weld. So now its the 'honest look' for me. I'm fine with it. And maybe someday I'll know better and be able to grind to flat. I slightly suspect that for grind to flat to work I need welding wire that makes a softer weld.

POR15: I had a bunch of it not stick. I had a bunch of it stick really well. I used their incredibly toxic cleaning products first. But I won't use it any more either because the POR15 itself is way too toxic for me, even with a respirator. I can't tolerate even the slightest scent any more. I've never smelled anything that was such raw unadulterated evil. I still use their prep products, which are fantastic but also require a respirator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom