HG failure AFTER installing new type gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone known of a HG failure after replacing the head gasket with the new type with the reinforced #6 position? If so, any details?

the only way I can see of such a failure happening is:

1) head was warped and was not professionally checked & decked

2) top of engine block where head mounts was warped

3) If 1 & 2 were confirmed to be 110% TRUE AND FLAT, then a faulty cooling system is the issue, thus causing an engine overheating issue

If the head deck surface is 110% true & flat and the top of the engine block is the same - providing the head gasket is installed properly and the bolts are torqued to spec, a new head gasket really should not fail again... unless the cooling system is crap and the engine overheated cuasing the HG failure.

I have personally had one head gasket replace on my 94 that lasted over 140k miles with no problems (yes new style gasket, I replaced it my self). I pulled this engine in favor of the one I rebuild that was balanced and head ported and milled, bored over pistons that I bebuilt. When I pulled this engine apart to have it ready to rebuild, I saw no signs of early failure with the head gasket,(carbon tracks around the sealing rings of the HG and no gasket material disinagrating, or coolant creep ( i used green coolant, I will not use toyota red in my cruisers) I have heard of no HG problems after this has been replaced. There has been some issues of bad jobs creating some other problems. Like not cleaning stuff properly and ending up having piston slap or the rings getting trashed and the cylinder lossing compression(cylinder wall scratched beyond repair). I personally have had not returns on any job I have done with HG's.
I hope this answers your questions on this subject. I have posted lots of information on this in the past couple of years and My postion has not change that much. Besides doing lots of head gaskets I have warned many of the inpending Headgasket problems that I have not personally changed. Some have got there warrenty compaines to do them at the dealer ships and some got jobs done else where.
If you choose to get this done by a mechanic, pick one that has done this job before on a 1FZ engine. It will make it easier to do and make sure the little heater hose is changed and carbon is clean out well.
Good luck, later robbie

With all due respect, my impression of your post was positive until I read:

( i used green coolant, I will not use toyota red in my cruisers)...

and then I took my bet off the table. I use exclusively Toyo Red - both up in Connecticut where we're originally from and here in South Florida - you couldn't get two more extreme climates in the US - and it runs like new and clean. My point being that green or red, they're both excellent coolants but to be so adamant about one or the other is ignorant fodder at best. :flipoff2:

BOUNDER said:

and then I took my bet off the table. I use exclusively Toyo Red - both up in Connecticut where we're originally from and here in South Florida - you couldn't get two more extreme climates in the US - and it runs like new and clean. My point being that green or red, they're both excellent coolants but to be so adamant about one or the other is ignorant fodder at best. :flipoff2:

ignorant fodder eh? hmmm.... that seems a little less than fully-informed itself considering that PP / Robbie is likely the most knowledgeable cruiserhead on this forum...! :rolleyes:

e9999 said:
ignorant fodder eh? hmmm.... that seems a little less than fully-informed itself considering that PP / Robbie is likely the most knowledgeable cruiserhead on this forum...! :rolleyes:

Oh come on 'E'... it's got to be a joke. Nobody would call out the Toy Whisperer like that. Would they???

All's I know is, glad I been using the green.

:beer:
Rookie2

BOUNDER said:
With all due respect ... My point being that green or red, they're both excellent coolants but to be so adamant about one or the other is ignorant fodder at best. :flipoff2:

You're entitled to your opinion, Bounder, but from your post count I'm not sure you know just who Robbie is and the extent of his experience working on 80s. I dare say nobody else on this forum has done the extent of work he has done on as many 80s as he has worked on. When you say "with all due respect", part of the respect due is not referring to his post as "ignorant fodder".

I have posted this in some expereminting I did over the last several years. I had two 80 series with two rebuilt engines(1FZ's), with in a few months of each other. I ran toyota red in one and prestone green in the other. I had more fall out in over flow tank and the radiator with the one I had toyota red in and coolant creep in some of the hoses (i still have this engine I plan to pull the head for other reasons), the Prestone green had none of these issues, no coolant creep, no fallout in the radiator and the overflow tank. Both were OBDI systems, both had 93-94 radiators. The one with the red was boiled out and I replaced all the steel freeze plugs. The other was washed well and also bored out, head milled (but not polished, or milled). This was the last bit I needed to not use the Toyota red coolant in my trucks. While you may have a different experence, I have never told people not to use toyota red for any reason. But me personally will not use it. I beleive this is one of the pieces of the puzzle that lead to early failure if left in long enough (which alot of dealerships have done as well as PO). Am I foolish, I am far from foolish, I have depended on my toyota trucs for well over 20 years and use what gives me the least amount of problems. There are good reccomendations from several people on when to change the coolant and how to do it. If you have the experence I have had over the last several years with 80 series and other toyota trucks you may have a different experence. While I do not own a engine with MLS head gasket and a total system design for toyota red ( As i beleive) but some day I will and at time I may again experement with the different coolants and see what results I may see and again make my choices.
That said, I still do as my customers request, I put in Toyota red at there request and They are happy. While some ask me my opinion, some do not. That is their choice.
Just as some day it may be your choice to do something different. later robbie

BOUNDER said:

Oh boy, (biting my tongue almost in half here)

Robbie has WAY more wrench time on 1FZ engines than anyone I can even imagine in North America and probably any place else. I very much respect his judgement and opinions. I do not necessarily agree with him on all points nor he with me. You sir, have no basis to bash him.

His observations are based on hundreds of engines over several years. What do you bring to the table?

Oh, and I should add that I run red much to his dismay......

When did Robbie become powderpig???

I can count on one hand the number of people on this forum who's advice/suggestions that I would take with absolutely no questions asked. Robbie is one of those people.

powderpig said:
snip
While I do not own a engine with MLS head gasket and a total system design for toyota red ( As i beleive) but some day I will and at time I may again experement with the different coolants and see what results I may see and again make my choices.
snip
robbie

Robbie, not sure I understand the above and don't know what an MLS gasket is. Did you mean to say that later model years of the 80 might be better suited to Red? Or did you mean other models than 80s?

Oh boy, do I have to go to green now? (much cheaper though, yea!)

i run strictly green in mine. i also change it far more often than reccomended and never give it a chance for the silicate lubricants to precipitate out. The benifits of red, if any, would never been seen due to my frequent change intervals. The cost of red is prohibitive.

I tend to keep this opinion to myself due to the frequent bashing non-red users get.

Do some more research on the web E. If you do not see a need to change coolant, then do not. I am not telling you to change.
MLS is multi layer steel. A new style of head gasket that is being used in recent moderned engines. They have been used in HPerformance engine for a long time.
later robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom