1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by benw4x4, Jul 15, 2005.

1. benw4x4

benw4x4

:D new to the forum and just saying hi. I have a 84 fj60 little rough but i am working on cleaning it up. any ideas on a way to slow smoking down untill i can rebuild my motor?

2. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Welcome. Great choice in a truck.

Smoking can be caused by a number of things. Best is to eliminate some things. Do a full tune-up, check compression, then report back.

Oh, by the way, welcome!

3. rightlane

rightlane

everybody, hi ben w

4. benw4x4

benw4x4

the smoke is from worn rings, this winter i plan on a full rebuild but for now i just am trying to keep the oil usage down.

5. swampymarsh

swampymarsh

For a short term band-aid try some mechanic-in-a-bottle (engine additives). It won't take wear out of a worn out engine but it may swell up your valve seals enough to help control some of your oil burning. I have a annoying leak on the rear main seal on my 3F (don't we all) and have not have the time to repair it. I added about 1/4 bottle and it was enough to control it till i get some time. At least it stopped the constant dripping on the shop floor. Have fun!! Dave

6. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    hey ben...nice choice in rigs. i see you're in ft collins...rising sun is having a picnic sunday in evergreen if you wanna come and meet folks and talk about your issues.

7. xjnation

xjnation

Albums:
    I had the same problem and someone told me about smokeless oil... I never tried it, just replaced the motor instead, but it might be worth looking into...maybe???

8. NocalFJ60

NocalFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome.

Do a search for seafoam which can help clean out the engine if you have carbon buildup. Also you can try a can of restore oil additive. I would do a compression test like what was already said just to see where you are actually. The factory spec. for the 2F is 150psi but up the mountains of Colorado the pressure is less.

Goodluck

9. Fearnofish!

Fearnofish!

I agree with using RESTORE additive. It caused some smoke initially but then sealed everything right up. Good luck.

Three words for ya... home equity loan.

10. benw4x4

benw4x4

I will check into the sea foam and restore. It only is a real problem on hot days during the winter it seems to be ok, but i bought it last november so I am not sure how long this has been a problem but as soon as the shop slows down for the winter i will put new pistons and rings in. anyone know how far over size I can go with the pistons, or if that is even a good idea on this motor? Thanks for the help.

11. benw4x4

benw4x4

Hey thanks for the invite, I will try to make it but I am trying to get moved in the next week so hopefully i can get away for a while.

12. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Hello and welcome. Pics pics pics.