Help with simplified charcoal canister setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 FJ40, but only part of the Charcoal canister system I have (besides the canister and all the stuff at the fuel tank side) is the Outer Vent Control valve. My carb doesn't not have a vent from the fuel bowl. Don't have the other two valves that were part of the original system.

Given this, I was wondering about 2 setups to simplify:
1) Go with a new generic canister (folks have recommended a few on here) with vacuum controlled purge valve.
a. Vent into the intake or into the aircleaner/pre-carb (I have an aftermarket DIY K&N setup with a straight pipe.
b. Use a vacuum advance port (no vacuum at idle) to control the valve
c. Question - is there a generic canister that has a vacuum controller purge valve built it?

2) Is there a way I would use the Outer Vent Control Valve to control the purge? Move to the purge connector (center), plug the OVCV hole, and then route to the aircleaner. But that would probably create a rough idle since it would always be open and dork with the idle mixture.

Thanks!

Eric

1680619947703.png

Why not use the OEM set-up? all yhou need is a VCV (around $45) and a BVSV (around $50) and some vac and fuel line. It will take all of 30 minutes to put that circuit back into play.

Yeah, I was thinking that route as well. I guess I can remove the Outer Vent Control Valve and cap since I don't have an OEM carb. Or just leave in place if I ever switch back.

I don't have a place to attach the mini-vacuum manifold on the carb. Assume I could just use a Y-splitter off of the advance port.

I don't know how much not having the BVSV in the circuit would be - it actuates at a specific temp (I'm too lazy to look it up) . I don't see what the harm would be to just plumb the outer vent control to the port on the carb insulator. Let's see if anyone else has experience with this.

Ming89FJ62 - You'd still need the VCV, though, correct? That way you aren't venting fumes at idle, only acceleration. If that's the case, then a generic vacuum control valve would be less $$$? Regarding the Outer Control Valve, my understanding is that it pulls into the cannister (from the fuel below) versus venting?

This thread is of interest. Have a desmogged '78 that is just venting to the top of the firewall using the return line hose.

Ordered a new VCV last night. Going to skip added the Brown BVSV back since it opens at 86 F and I live in TX; so most of the time I am quick to that temp if not there already. I might even put the original air cleaner/top end back on :) (replace the K&N I have on there now - it just makes it very clean)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom