HELP: Toyota Sandtana tilt-top 1983, excessive revving. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help: I recently bought a Toyota Sandtana tilt-top 83' diesel engine. The RV was built on top of a Hilux with what I believe is an L1 engine. When I bought the truck it was not running, I did reasonable upkeep and ended up getting it running after two years of sitting. I replaced the "Micky Moused" air filter the previous owner put in, which gave it more power. However, after numerous joy rides a much more frightening problem occurred. When the RPMs rev too high the truck turns into what I would call a "runaway." what could be the cause of this and how can I fix it?
All the tips, ideas, thoughts, and help is soooo much appreciated!
Thanks.

A lot of things can cause runaway. Usually caused by wear or poor maintenance. Can also be an injection pump issue. Have you “adjusted” the IP for more fuel flow? I’m sure others will have better ideas, but excess fuel can ba a culprit. The diesel section on mud here might have more knowledgeable replies.

Help: I recently bought a Toyota Sandtana tilt-top 83' diesel engine. The RV was built on top of a Hilux with what I believe is an L1 engine. When I bought the truck it was not running, I did reasonable upkeep and ended up getting it running after two years of sitting. I replaced the "Micky Moused" air filter the previous owner put in, which gave it more power. However, after numerous joy rides a much more frightening problem occurred. When the RPMs rev too high the truck turns into what I would call a "runaway." what could be the cause of this and how can I fix it?
All the tips, ideas, thoughts, and help is soooo much appreciated!
Thanks.
What are you doing to shut it down or make it return to a normal rpm? Normally it is very difficult to stop a run away, I'm curious if your procedure for this might shed some light on what's going on with it.

I would first check the cables and accelerator pedal for freedom of movement. I would also try hand throttling it from the engine bay to see if all is working smoothly
How are you stopping it when it occurs?
Engine is correctly known as an L engine, but nice try though.:rofl:
The later ones were known as 2L 3L 5L ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom