Help/tools/advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
So I've been staring at my 60 for a few years now, apologizing to it every time I do. It needs some preventative rust removal... I had a go at one point with sandpaper, but the rust has come back through those spots... it's not bad, just barely showing.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to make/borrow/buy dirt cheap the equipment I need to: sand blast & paint mild rust spots, and cut and weld some worse spots.

(a la this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/599420-windshield-frame-cutting-replacement.html )

Advice on things like what I can get away with in terms of tools to use (small cheap welder from Canadian tire? Home-made soda blaster?) would be awesome, as well as how to use them! I'm posting this in the local section because maybe someone has something to sell/lend for beer or cruiser parts that would work for me.

I live in the Hillside area... any kind souls around with tools/advice? The one thing I do have right now is space to work, and time... I just need to translate that into cruiser love!

I hear you on the cost thing..... By the time I bought filler, sand paper, sanding blocks, primer, paint, masking paper, tape etc... I thought to myself, am I really saving any money here? :bang:

I have some of the stuff you'll need but I'm not exactly "in your neck of the woods".

Also, if you mention the words "60" "help"and "rust repair" in the same sentence expect people to run! :grinpimp:

Cam

Make sure that you buy some weld through primer. Use it before you weld in if there is overlap or for areas that you will not be able to prime/paint afterwards due to lack of access.

Don't put it on too thick or its hard to weld.

I would say for most spots like you're describing the cheap spot blaster from princess auto is probably your best cheap bet... I was thinking about getting one myself for doing small things.

I've also had good luck with a wire brush and some flap disks. I find the best way to do it patches is to put small tacks alternating around until its all done. Also I use the flap disks for grinding as it comes out much smoother and nicer.

Wire wheels for grinder and drill help a lot. You can avoid a lot of sand blasting with that.

Just watch out for the cheap ones. They like to shed quite savagely, and leave pieces of wire nestled in your jeans right next to the ghoulies...which you don't notice until you sit down....at which point you'll notice. ( not to mention eyeballs)

x2 on weld through primer, and etching primer as well. Good stuff. Places like videl in nanaimo, or duncan auto in duncan sell a knock off brand ( red and white cans) that's reasonable in price compared to the fancy stuff. I'm sure there's somewhere comparable in vic.

And for when your done a spray bottle with a nice oily potion mixed up in it to spray into all the little crevices to slow down the rust is a damn good idea.

For the welder, the trouble with the small cheap ones is that body work welding is a lot easier with skinny wire and gas, but one of those metal fusion experts would have better advice on that front than me. I just pull the trigger, make sparks and hope I don't make a mess...:hillbilly:

pics .... lets see how bad it is... are we talking rear quarter panels and dog leg around wheel wells ?? or doors and hood?

pics .... lets see how bad it is... are we talking rear quarter panels and dog leg around wheel wells ?? or doors and hood?

Not even. A couple really mild patches on the quarter panels and the windshield frame, which is the only place that will need any welding. I want to get it before it gets real!

I'll go take some pictures now.

This is about the measure of it. There are a few other little spots along the same lines, but I can't find anything else as bad as the windshield wound.

As you can see I went in before with sand paper and hit it with primer after... that was about 3 years ago now and that's what's coming through. Worth noting is that the patches of rust you see were TINY little dings from rocks that I tried to sand out as a preventative measure - I wonder if the act of sanding rubbed rusty metal into the surrounding area causing the larger patches that are visible now?

For the windshield frame/roof part I didn't attempt any rust removal, I just filled it with silicone to try and prevent leaking and further water getting in and causing more rust.

windshield.jpg

rear quarter.jpg

rear inside.jpg

Most of that is surface from the pics, but the windsheild is gonna need removed to see that one. If it is rusted through I suggest finding a scrapper and cut and weld it in.

Most of that is surface from the pics, but the windsheild is gonna need removed to see that one. If it is rusted through I suggest finding a scrapper and cut and weld it in.

Yeah that's what I figured. I already have another donor FJ62 with good metal in that area, all I need now are tools and know-how :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom