Help! Lost #2 cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys at autozone threw the code reader on my rough riding '99LC today and said my #2 cylinder wasn't working. What could it be? Plug? Wires? How do I trouble shoot? He was talking about pulling the plug out and seeing if it would fire. I know you can do this with spark plugs, but my knowledge on these new fangled high tech rigs is limited at best. Is this something I can trouble shoot and fix or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Check that both ends of the plug wire is secure. How long/many miles has it been since you've replaced the plugs?

I've had the rig for the last 10k or so and never replaced the plugs. I guess I'll go yank it off and see what it looks like. The #2 plug is the front passenger one right?

On my 80 the plug wires are numbered. I would assume they are the same on the 100 but I haven't even had the engine cover off of mine yet.

Cyl 2

Herky said:
I've had the rig for the last 10k or so and never replaced the plugs. I guess I'll go yank it off and see what it looks like. The #2 plug is the front passenger one right?

Yes, front pass. side. How many miles on it? Could be a loose connector from previous starter contact job or coil removal. I broke a couple of the brittle plastic clips for the injector connectors when removing the intake manifold.

Fault code Cyl. #2. Was it "P0303" cylinder not firing? If it's not the sparkplug, then check to see if the coil has cracks or shows signs of tracking. Swap #2 coil with #4 coil, clear the CEL code by temporarily disconnecting the battery, and see if it throws another CEL, P0305 meaning the original #2 coil is bad.

Put a stethoscope on the injector while it's running and see if it's clicking or if the loudness of the clicking compares to the other injectors. A quiet injector is not healthy.

If none of the above, switch sparkplug #2 with #4 to see if the fault follows the sparkplug.

more . . .

If the #2 coil is bad, the EMU will most likely automatically shut off the #2 injector to keep from washing the cylinder down with raw gas, so if #2 injector is quiet, it doesn't necessarily mean it is bad.

Also check continuity in the plug wires. One time I had an internal short in a plug wire in my 4runner.

Me thinks its a coil pack...

I sell 2 or 3 a month for the Toyota V8s...

A coil pack was the culprit. I need to get a manual for this thing so I can so some more work on it. I had them replace it and clean the throttle body but said no to the $215 spark plug job. I think I can manage that without a picture.

Herky,

The best items I've bought so far were the factory service manuals for $100 off ebay and a OBDII code reader for around $150. They've already paid for themselves in savings.

Herky said:
A coil pack was the culprit. I need to get a manual for this thing so I can so some more work on it. I had them replace it and clean the throttle body but said no to the $215 spark plug job. I think I can manage that without a picture.

...I hate it when I am right.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom