HELP! Junction Block/Windshield Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LXColorado

LX -> LC
Threads
Hey everyone. My LX has been sitting at the dealership for two days now and I was informed that I have a bad seal on my windshield, letting water leak in to the junction block on the driver's side causing failures. I noticed my hazards were constantly on, and the security light was a constant red. I initially thought the alternator was not charging the battery, but the alternator is fine. The dealership wants to replace the entire junction block for just over $2000, not to mention fixing the windshield... what a way to start the week.

I haven't found anything like this on the forum yet. I would like some outside input before dipping into the emergency fund. Has this happened to anyone? What was your experience, and how did it get resolved?

Thanks!!

-K

Wonder if the junction block is actually damaged or if the issues will remedy themselves once it dries out. Seems as though the first step is to get someone reputable reinstalling the windshield.

Good luck.

Windshield leaks? Yeah, they happen, plenty of threads on bad installs. Usually it seems to show up on the passenger side, sucks that your is DS. I'd be tempted to replace the windshield, make sure it's done right, throw a heater/blower in the DS footwell for a day or two, and see that that gets you.

Check with windshield installer they may be liable for secondary damage. If that doesn't work, check with your insurance company, windshield wouldn't be covered if just poor workmanship, but secondary damage from leak should be covered under your comp coverage.

And if they do pay and subrogate successfully against windshield installer you should get you deductible back.

That specific issue is very common to bad installs on GX windshields, but I've heard of several bad installs on LX causing leaks, rust, etc. Best to rip out that windshield, check for rust, have qualified installer replace windshield. Then dry out the GEM / junction block and see what you have, esp if they want $2k.

Good advice to call insurance or prev glass installer if you had it done.

I really appreciate the feedback, guys. I ran over to the dealership during lunch, and talked to the mechanic (happens to be a buddy of mine), and he mentioned that is a common problem with the GX and LX that had windshields replaced. I used to have an LR3. The sunroof drains were notorious for clogging and flooding the inside, so that was the first thing I checked. Before giving away my Cuba vacation fund, I asked him to let me have my car back for a day or two and throw a fan at the junction block area. He pulled it around and gave me a huge grin... The LX has zero issues now, hazards are working as they should and the security light isn't on. For now, it's back to normal! Maybe it was given sufficient time to dry out? The best we could come up with was the water inside the box was conducting electricity to other relays and setting them off.

I got the car back in better condition than I left it, for no charge (a rare occurrence at a dealer!) I was given the number to the shop Lexus sends their cars for windshield repair. I called them up and they knew almost immediately that someone likely didn't use the proper rivets for the windshield. He said sometimes people use metal rivets, widening the hole, or just not at all. So that's the first order of business, replacing the windshield to seal it correctly. I am dropping it off tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted on what the actual problem was so others can avoid this potential bomb, if possible!

P.S. Satellite and Elite's warranty is void once the car transfers owners. The windshield was installed by the previous owner :/

Again, really appreciate the immediate responses.

-K

Let us know what windshield guys determine. Always a 'fun' topic.

I got the car back in better condition than I left it, for no charge (a rare occurrence at a dealer!) I was given the number to the shop Lexus sends their cars for windshield repair. I called them up and they knew almost immediately that someone likely didn't use the proper rivets for the windshield. He said sometimes people use metal rivets, widening the hole, or just not at all. So that's the first order of business, replacing the windshield to seal it correctly. I am dropping it off tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted on what the actual problem was so others can avoid this potential bomb, if possible!
Toyota specifies a nylon-coated rivet. It installs with a pop-rivet tool, which needs a nosepiece smaller than you normally see. The last installer I used came recommended from both Toyota and Lexus. He showed up with moldings, the right rivets and rivet tool. No leaks after 18 months, nor wind noise nor any other surprises.

Sorry for the delay! I got the windshield done a couple of days ago. They were recommended by the service manager at the Lexus dealership. He explained the previous installer drilled holes in the frame, instead of using the rivet tool hankinid mentioned. They made sure the holes were water tight, and replaced the windshield with the proper rivets. What a sigh of relief! It's been fine for almost a week now.

With that crisis averted, it's on to torsion bars, UPCs, diff drop, and wheel spacers at Slee.

Sorry for the delay! I got the windshield done a couple of days ago. They were recommended by the service manager at the Lexus dealership. He explained the previous installer drilled holes in the frame, instead of using the rivet tool hankinid mentioned. They made sure the holes were water tight, and replaced the windshield with the proper rivets. What a sigh of relief! It's been fine for almost a week now.

With that crisis averted, it's on to torsion bars, UPCs, diff drop, and wheel spacers at Slee.
Would you mind sharing who you ended up using for the windshield?? I had mine replaced by Absolute Auto Glass a few weeks ago, however after driving in the snow for a few hours last night a handful of lights popped up on my dash. Needless to say I think I need another new windshield, and I want it done correctly this time.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom