Help! inconsistent Vibration at 65mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like the CV's are at too much of an angle. Try installing a diff drop.

One thing that doesn't make sense is you say you have an LX470 but "lowered the torsion bars to lower the front end" on an LX the TB have nothing to do with ride height unless you've swapped your suspension. Maybe you've done that and I've missed that post. Either way...the front end of your truck is too high, maxing out the CV angle, causing the vibration. If you haven't swapped your suspension, adjust the height sensors to lower the front end enough.

Thanks guys! I removed the front driveshaft this past weekend. I'll do the flanges. Yes all the specs are in the first post:

It has the ome lift. Tb's were lowered from 23" to NOW 20.5" hub to fender measurement. Still hunting to fix this!

Romove the CVs from the equation and I'm sure you'll find your problem.

Sorry you're chasing this.

One thing to keep in mind....unbalanced tires at 65mph will cause more of a "wobbly" type shake in the seats or steering wheel or both. A driveline vibration at 65 mph will be more of an unmistakable vibration, one that doesn't necessarily feel wobbly (low speeds maybe) but more vibration, almost a humming/droning noise/feel.

Good luck!!

starting to chase this myself. I think its the rear u joint. filled it with grease and it seemed to mask the issue.

Yes that is very likely. Those cvs were run at an extreme angle and could have worn in at that angle. When you changed the cv angle again the cv no longer rides in that wear pattern that it was at when you were 23". This has caused vibration issues for many users, but it's usually due to going from stock to lifted height. I definitely think it's the CVs.
. X2. The same applies to u joints

^adding to that, more than 2" lift in the back, or if you have worn rear control arm bushings this will allow you rear diff rotate out of alignment slightly, and then the drive shaft which will add to ujoint vibes. You'll want to take some angle measurements of the output shaft-prop shaft angle- rear diff angle and make sure the output flange angle and rear diff flange angle are near zero( difference between them).

If .....you have ujoint issues based on misaligned drive shaft, the vibes are usually more noticeable on acceleration, or decel depending if the diff is wrapping upward or downward.

The only way to align/correct diff angle on a 100 is with adjustable control arms. Simply replacing ujoints will/may only yield short term result.

Thanks! I hope to remove the flanges and driveshaft and test drive tonight.

@NOSAJ , did you ever get your issue resolved? If so, I'd like to hear what the issue was. I've been battling driveline vibes for the last 10k miles.

Not yet work and life have gotten in the way. My plan next is to remove the front drive shaft along with the front flanges to hopefully eliminate the front cv's and go from there. Also going to rotate and balance tires again because they are due. Hopefully over xmas break. I'll report back!

while you have the front DS out go ahead and have it balanced and new Toyota u joints put in it if ya have the $$ mine had a vibe about like you described when I bought it, but it had a fairly new lift added, the front torsions were cranked up to match the rear.. I lowered the front a inch and it cleared up the vibration, ive had that happen before where a lift was added and the u joint pattern had worn to the old angles.. correcting that, with getting closer to the old angle fixed mine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom