Help id correct distributor year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just found out my recently new to me 82 does not have an 82 distributor...appears to have smaller cap. Do not see normal old points style.

Any guidance appreciated

IMG_8333.JPG

IMG_8335.JPG

Also now has me wondering if this has a transplanted engine. Honestly everything looked in place and original at first glance. Started baselining and found the distributor. Engine is not coated in years of gunk as bad as my last fj40 was....which makes me wonder.
Is there a way to determine with engine code and vin if this is the original engine?

There is a part# 69101-11100 for 77-78
and a part# 69101-11101 for 79-80

just not sure what I have on this 82 fj60....

Looks like a '78 electronic dissy. You don't have a dented side-cover?

What the engine serial number ?

Non dented side cover. engine code "2f 098288"

may/june of 1976 production.

What's the casting number on the head? 61040?

I'm guessing its the 77-78 distributor due to the 3 screws holding down the cap, as well as the appearance of the advance/retard ports on the "can"
.very interesting to know that this may be .a 76 2f......in an 82 fj60....with a 77/distributor.

Not the bone stock I thought,.....but still pleased it hasnt been butchered so bad along all these years. If thats a transplant 2f....it was a good job in my opinion.

very interesting to know that this may be .a 76 2f......in an 82 fj60....with a 77/distributor.

Not the bone stock I thought,.....but still pleased it hasnt been butchered so bad along all these years. If thats a transplant 2f....it was a good job in my opinion.

the engines are the same basic dimensions, with more pics of the engine bay it would have been easier/quicker to tell your situation.
there are differences that are fairly easy to tell when seeing the big picture.

do you still have power steering? stock pump? pulled an earlier engine out of a 60 series 2 years ago, found the guy who installed it, drilled and tapped for the PS pump mount into the side of the block, only problem was he went a little too deep and hit the water jacket. needed to make sure the bolt was sealed properly.

Now that I look closely itv

Now that I look closely it has a fab'd bracket for the power steering!

IMG_8343.JPG

IMG_8346.JPG

Here's the engine bay
Has a/c but compressor loose and not belted so I figured there was a/c work in my future.
Truck ran before I started tearing into it.

IMG_8338.JPG

IMG_8341.JPG

IMG_8342.JPG

Thanks to everyone for sharing and imparting your knowledge. I have definitely learned more of what to look for when I check under the hood!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom