Help getting a 2.8l or 3.0l Diesel in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says, I'm trying to get a 2.8l (3L) or 3.0L (5L) in the US (Alaska)

I've contacted a few importers, but either don't hear back, or that can't help me.

I know it'll be a very expensive 90hp, but I absolutely love driving my 2L and don't have to time to swap in a totally different engine. It's either buy another L series, or this truck sits and I drive my '89 fj62 for a few years. (This engine will pay for itself in fuel...)

Why: The 2L that's been swapped into my '85 eats a head gasket every 4 or 5k miles. I've rebuild and stripped the engine twice and can't find a crack in the head, so it's either warped or invisible to me. It's currently still daily, but there is a steady stream of bubbles in the coolant, occasional overheating, and when it gets hot the engine starts to run very rough at idle.

I see this won't be easy, but I'm reaching out in the hopes someone has some experience here.

Maybe this thread could help?

I’m also looking for a 3L, rebuilts available but I haven’t found a good used motor yet.
I've got a lead on one in Canada. However it needs removed from its "shipping crate" before the seller will give me a price. They won't get around to it for another two months atleast, so I'm still open to other options.

Best of luck with your search! I've emailed a lot of places, hopefully you'll get lucky. At least Toyota made tons of these engines overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom