Help, from Volvo to Toyota driveline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

I have been searcing and searching and searching, and I keep being getting confused...

The thing is I have just bought a Volvo TGB13 6X6 and want to change the entire driveline from the original Volvo B30 gasser to a Toyota setup:

Engine: 1KZ-T
Gearbox: R151F

Transfer: ???

the thing is I need the passenger side offset, as in Cruisers, and part-time 4WD, and I know it has been done in FJ40 ect. But none have written what transfer to use?

I know the 70's came with the R151F gearbox, and probably the HF2A transfer, but that is full-time 4wd...

In the Hilux and surfs was the RF1A part-time box, but that has centered rear output...

Maybe the HF1A is the right one?

Or the BF1A?

How about the split-case, I have one of those attached to a H55F (which won't fit the 1KZ-T), and i can buy a parking brake kit for it (I will need that, the Volvo has a diff parking brake) And I know that transfer case from my HJ60.

I'm asking here because the entire setup from a KZJ 73 would be perfect, but I haven't been able to find an old one as a donor, so I'm looking at collecting the parts from Surfs/4-runners ect...
Some of the gurus here must have the correct answer!

if you find anything with a R150/151F you can swap the rear transmission housing for one from an LJ70/73 turbo with a R150/151F and use the LJ70/73 split case. I'm not sure if you have to swap the tranny output shaft or not but they should interchange anyway. Either that or use just the bellhousing and clutch slave from the KZT donor and use the LJ tranny/tcase combo as a whole.

Thanks Alot Denis!!

I thought as much, but without having a possibility to see them it's hard to be sure, so I'm grateful for your reply!
My plan is buy a Surf with 1KZ-T and a manual gearbox from england, they go for as little as 2.000 $, and get a transfer from fron a '86 or later LJ70, they can be found here for 100 $ and up... That should do the trick!

Again thanks, when trying to figure these things out all the info that's available online can be very confusing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom