Help - Argh - Help !~#? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sooooooo

Since my life has more or less spiraled out of control - lost my job, family health crisis, trips to DC; I've decided to get bruce back on the road.

Unfortunately here's my problem - I've been completely thwarted in my attempts to remove the bolt in the knuckle that I broke.

So I'm now to the point where I either really really need help from someone who knows what they are doing - to help me drill the bolt out and tap it - or I need to get a new knuckle.

So who wants to help? and what's the best way to do this?

I'm kinda desperate at this point.

M

Come over and pic up a new knuckle off of me and fix the damn thing allready

Get the seal kit, a tub of axel grease and fix it.

im the least successful broken stud extractor on the planet.

i think pj is prolly right, for the time involved, a free knuckle is easier. allot more bolts, but they all work. 3hrs vs 3 days of swearing.

Well not completely free, I whant the old knukle with the broken stud.
Other than that give me a call, I have one ready to go.

of course you can have the old knuckle - that makes my life exponentially easier.

I'm not sure I have your number but I'll private message you to give you mine and maybe we can arrange something soon.

I'll put new rotors on the beast too while I"m at it.

M

well I got the driver's side torn down this weekend and i'll be getting the seals and rotors wednesday. Once i get the knuckle from PJ I'll be able to I'll be able rebuild it and finally (maybe) get the beast back on the road....

Paging Dr. PJ, Paging Dr PJ

Turns out there is a difference - the bearing caps are smaller on the older one (or bigger on the newer one.. take your pick);

Soooooooo.....

What the hell is PJ's number?

Bruces knuckle is repaired
threads are ok and I did a little beed blast on it
COME ON OVER AND PIC THIS THING UP

is tomorrow good? (friday?) let me know when...

and PM me you're address (i've only been there once...)

Are you done yet?

Hey I had to wait until the temp was warm - and a trip to DC - and a freelance gig....

But I've got *most* everything bolted back together - I need to exchange the caliper for one that fits, but other than that it's almost ready to get the brakes bleed and stickered up!

Woot

This has been by far the most frustrating Crusier project ever - seems like no matter what I try it will NOT bolt back together in any reasonable fashion.

After rebuilding the driver's side knuckle, and replacing the rotors - which did actually go well - it comes time to install the new caliper. Fine it bolts on well.

But when it comes time to bolt up the hard line, it doesn't fit. I think when they remanufactured this caliper, they tapped the hole, and it seems like the treads got messed up. The NEW hard line I got did not install properly, and once I released the brake lines it immediately started leaking. I tried to remove it and reinstall it, but to no avail.

Unfortunately on the other side (passenger for those keeping score) it looks like the hard line didn't work on that side either (its as tight as it will go and that caliper also leaked.

Needless to say I am not amused.

I need to figure out what the best option is (and I suspect it's to do the 4Runner caliper swap).

Sigh.

Now pictures...

Pictures!

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

Sadly they don't work but it sure looks good!

of course it looks good - now I just need to get it to work...

the closer you get...

So after both rebuilt calipers failing - and ruining a new brake line in the process - ive gone the route of the 92 4Runner caliper upgrade. I picked them up on Monday from Napa, and once my brake lines get here, and once it warms up, I'll be trying this installation for the third or forth time. This time I think everything WILL work and not leak.

I'll post some pics here in the next day or so.

stay tuned.

Amazing!

After what feels like an eternity, I finally have a vehicle that is bolted together and is NOT leaking any fluids.... The 4Runner calipers bolted on without a hitch and just a tiny amount of trimming of the dust shields. And here are the results:

PICT0001.jpg

Old 62 caliper on the left, new 4Runner caliper on the right.

PICT0005.jpg

Caliper Installed! (BTW there is a bolt missing from the hub - it had broken off when I was replacing the rotor - remarkably I was able to turn it out by hand and I had already ordered replacements so that too is taken care of!)

Now all I need to do is bleed the brakes and Bruce will be thundering down the road!

Thats awsome!
Not to bust your bubble but did you try the wheel fit yet?
When I put those on Erics 40 I had to grind the outer edge of the calipers so the wheels would bolt on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom