HELP!!! ARB Locker installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I had to settle for the ARB locker instead of the whole 3rd member, yeah long story, 4.11 ratio is on national back order, lead time is about a month. Now I need help installing it. I have sent an email to Lance already, hopefully he is available. My guess is he is swampt. So, can any one else help me with or do the installation for me:frown:? I am ready to pay for the installation. I can do Detroit and other lockers myself but don't feel comfy with ARB installation, mostly because I don't have the right tools. Ofcourse, I would like to have this before the CM.

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx

Riad

I'm scared of replacing carriers...

I wish I had the skills/tools to help.

Thanks Felix, I could do it myself, my 1st problem is I don't have a strong driller to drill through the 3rd althoug I have the bit, tap and die tools, bearing puller and press. And the 2nd problem is I have to take off from work, which is not a problem but poop will hit the fan when I am back. So anyway, Lance replied back :bounce2:, So I am working out the time to drive up there and get it done.

It's really not that hard, read the factory manual and the instructions that come with the locker. Hardest part is drilling and tapping the housing for the air line. Aside from that, its no harder than any other locker. Just make sure you undestand how to set up the gears and most of all, don't put a locker in a worn out ring in a pinion. You also need to replace all the bearings. A buddy and I did two in one day. If you don't want to do it yourself, you should talk to Donny Figliozzi. His dad owns a transmission and gear shop as well as a body shop up in Rockville. They have set up ARB's before - Donny runs them himself has well.

Also a great guy if you need a Cruiser towed - he owns a maryland based tow truck company. He is an old school CLCC guy from way back in the day and goes to GSMTR every year with his 79 FJ40.

You can get a hold of him at dfigliozzi@comcast.net or PM me and I'll give you his cell.

-Stumbaugh

Thanks a lot Stumbaugh. Sent you a PM and sent him an email.

Riad,

I used the install instructions from Randy's Ring & Pinion along with the ARB instructions and the factory users manual. The install section on this link has a good section on setting up the "screw adjuster" type diffs.

At the end everything was within spec and it has worked great so far.

http://www.ringpinion.com/downloads/yukoninstman.pdf

Good Luck!

Last weekend, there was an episode of Extreme 4x4 on Spike TV where they installed a ARB in a FJ60 axle.

Maybe find someone that Has Tivo and tape it or sometimes you can order a copy of the show.

-Stumbaugh

I spent half day at Lance today, had him install the locker. Here's the thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=97144

I have already put the 3rd in the axle about an hour ago. I'm gonna pick up the rest in the morning. After watching Lance do his majic, I don't think I could have done it myself. Pulling and pressing bearings and drilling were the easy part. Getting the ring off of the OEM carrier was fun. He wacked at it for a while before it budged. Then installing the ring on the ARB was similar kinda fun. Again, Lance's majic prevailed. He used his tools and techniques to align the holes. I couldn't have align and check for back slash myself simply because I don't have the right tools. This was a very wise decision to have Lance do the work. Outstanding result. I am phsyched :bounce: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce2:

Thanks everyone :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom