Hello, Q on differentials (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I'm in the market for an 80 series. Thanks so much to everyone who helped with this sites FAQ's etc, it's been a gold-mine.

Looking at this pic, can i rule out that this 80 has no locking differentials? It's at a dealer and it's not advertised as such. I see some pretty dumb stuff posted about 80 series by dealers so i doubt they would know what they had if it did.

Anyway, shouldn't there be a rotary dial in one of these blank spots? It's a 1995.
image.html

Thanks!
-Antiacus

well ur pic wouldnt show it....it is to the right of the mirror control just out of view of the pic..

The one that is partially blocked by the steering wheel is where the rotary switch would be. There is enough of it showing to see there is no switch.

A poor young guy bought an fzj80 head from me and told me a sad tale; he bought a cruiser from a dealership in California. Very excited because it had the switch. Brought it back home to UT and realized that it didn’t really have lockers, somebody just pulled out the plug and popped in a switch. He also realized it had a blown HG. So be careful, and good luck on your search!

Yep. I have seen that twice... switch inserted but that was all. Look at the axles if you are shopping for a rig with a locker... and activate them as well... make sure they engage.

Very few '80s came with lockers. Don't let that be a deal breaker for you.

Mark...

Definitly do not let that be a deal breaker for you.
So many are hung up on you have to get an 80 with lockers
I will take a non locked truck with excellent mechanical history over a locked rig with marginal to no history anyday of the week
I was so set on finding a locked rig at the beginning, but that changed the more I learned and the more trucks I looked at.
Good luck in your search

Definitly do not let that be a deal breaker for you.
So many are hung up on you have to get an 80 with lockers
I will take a non locked truck with excellent mechanical history over a locked rig with marginal to no history anyday of the week

Exactly my POV too - you're better off with good mechanicals - if you have the luxury of this being a "hobby rig" for you than sure, you can wait & find that perfect 80 with documentation & lockers, maybe even at a great price -- but if you're in a hurry take the good runner & get an ARB (or whoever you like for your intentions) in the rear & do most all the same things a e-locker 80 does.

If you search the threads for posts C-Dan has made previously - you can see the build sticker in the drive doorjamb has a code for factory e-lockered 80's vs. ones that were built as open diff model 80's.

There's a 4-5 digit code buried in the rows of these codes on that sticker - though that does only cover factory built ones, so for example my 80 with e-lockers wouldn't show as such, but the guys who have done as I di would clearly give you proof on request of the swap, more than just showing the "dial picture".

GL hunting!

Thanks for the replies.

It's a long story how i came to be in the market for a cruiser. It started with a dream to to the trans-america trail, the OBDC route through Oregon on a dual sport motorcycle with family.

It ended with my wife saying our v70 t5 wagon was no longer big enough for our family, and nobody else buying a damned dual sport ;)

So, it's off to the Oregon back country for us. All together in one big happy rig ;p

After quite a bit of research the fj80 is the closest blend of required streetablility (going to be our daily driver for at least a year), reliability, price point, and off-road worthiness.

I don't ever intend on getting to crazy with it (think adventure truck vs mud mobile), but the more capability for extracting me from peril the better :)

I've been pouring over faq threads and the like. This site is a treasure trough.

-Antiacus

I don't ever intend on getting to crazy with it

Yeah, that is how we all started...;) Remember, "the 7-Pin mod is just a gateway drug", which is one of my favorite quotes.

Welcome to Mud, and enjoy.

:cheers:

Steve

Read all that you can
You would be very surprised at what a stock non locked 80 can do in the right hands
Yes lockers would be nice but not always needed

Besides some off the folks on here that wheel their trucks hard, how often do the others that have lockers actually really use them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom